055. 25 to life

"I, uh, noticed you all drink double shots." Ashley says, walking up and giving Emily a cup of coffee.

"Oh, thanks. You do, too?" Emily asks.

"This is the first." Ashley says. "I wanted to thank you for having my back."

"I hope you have mine." Emily says and Ashley nods.

"Front page news, eh?" Rossi asks, seeing what Spencer's reading. It's talking about a guy who -- allegedly -- killed his wife and daughter 25 years ago who has been let out on parole.

"Morgan must not think he did it." Spencer says.

"Or believes he won't do it again." Rossi says.

"Is Agent Morgan in?" Strauss walks over.

"What do you need, Erin?" Rossi asks.

"Metro P.D. sent this an hour ago." Strauss says as Derek walks over.

"And they want us to take a look?" Derek asks.

"No, they want you to take a look." Strauss says, giving Derek the cell phone. He looks at the photo of the dead body.

"Who's this?" Derek asks.

"The man Don Sanderson just murdered." Strauss states.

+++

They get to the crime scene.

"Why didn't Sanderson just run?" Spencer questions.

"Maybe he wanted to go back to prison." Ashley suggests.

"There are plenty of ways to violate your parole other than homicide." Emily says.

"Is Morgan okay?" Ashley asks.

"He just vouched for a man that turned around and killed someone." Spencer says.

"So I'd say no." Bedelia says.

The four go into the house.

+++

They brought Sanderson in and after investigating the scene, they're back at the BAU.

"How is he?" Emily asks Rossi as he walks into the round table room.

"Clearing his head." Rossi says.

"Strauss is waiting for you guys to come back." Penelope informs.

"Great. That's all he needs." Rossi remarks.

"We still don't know how Tom Wittman is connected to Don Sanderson." Emily says.

"All we know about him is everything Morgan went over, what he was accused of." Spencer says.

"And that he killed Tom Wittman this morning." Ashley adds.

"The guy's not talking." Rossi says.

"He doesn't trust anybody." Emily says.

"If he doesn't tell us who Tom Wittman is, how are we going to help Derek?" Penelope asks.

"The answer's in there somewhere." Rossi says. "We just have to find it."

"All right, March 10, 1985, 2:23 A.M." Derek says, walking in. "Don Sanderson was asleep on his couch because of an argument he had with his wife. He woke up to her screams."

"He ran to the bedroom to find one man stabbing her, another man struck him from behind, knocking him unconscious." Emily says.

"His wounds were superficial in comparison, so it was easy for the prosecution to claim that Sanderson's wounds were self-inflicted." Spencer says.