046. our darkest hour

"Hey, what did Strauss want?" Emily asks as the others walk into the conference room where JJ and Hotch already are.

"She needs us in Los Angeles." Hotch states.

"Home invasion homicide last night. Officers found Gregory Everson, 56, beaten with a GSW to the head." JJ says. "His wife Colleen was equally beaten and raped repeatedly."

"Repeatedly?" Emily asks.

"That's what she reported." JJ says.

"Wait, she survived this?" Emily asks.

"He chose to keep her alive." Hotch says.

"An intentional witness." Emily says.

"Everything but that points to an organized offender, an experienced one." Rossi says.

"Was she able to identify him?" Spencer asks.

"She said he was white, with mean eyes and repulsive breath." JJ says.

"Rotten inside and out." Rossi says. "Did he rape her in front of the husband?"

"Yeah." JJ quietly answers, nodding.

"One home invasion rarely warrants Strauss personally sending us out." Derek says.

"No, there's more. Ballistics match a double homicide downtown L.A., 48 miles away." JJ says.

"Where 3 days ago, those 2 women were raped and killed." Hotch says.

"But last night was in the suburbs." Emily says.

"They're afraid of another Night Stalker." Derek says.

+++

Rossi, Spencer, and Bedelia get to the hospital.

"Why is she in restraints?" Spencer asks.

"She tried to kill herself." Rossi whispers back. "Twice." Bedelia's heart breaks even more for the woman. They walk into the room and over to the bed. Spencer stands at the end while Rossi and Bedelia stand on either side.

"Mrs. Everson?" Rossi asks, keeping his voice quiet. "We're with the FBI. We know you talked to the detectives this morning. But if you're up for a few more questions, it could help."

"Why didn't he kill me?" She asks. The three look between each other.

"It-- it wasn't about you." Spencer says. "This man only thinks about power and control." He says, looking at Rossi.

"Leaving you behind gives him that." Rossi says. "Now... did he ever speak to your directly? Did he talk to you?"

"No, he really didn't." Colleen says. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Take your time." Rossi tells her.

"Greg looked at me... the way he always did. I... we didn't need words. We... he just... looked at me and we would know. I tried to be strong, but I-- I... shut my eyes... when the gun went off, and... that's the last thing Greg saw. Now every time I shut my eyes... I see him. How long will that last?"

The three glance between each other, knowing it never really goes away.

"You rest now." Rossi tells her and the three leave the room.

+++

"Hey. Where's Rossi?" JJ asks as Bedelia and Spencer walk in.

"He's talking with Hotch and Morgan." Spencer answers. He pushes one of the boards to the side so he can see the part of the white board he wants to.

"It's incredibly detailed." JJ comments.

"Yeah. Detective Matt Spicer and his partner are the go-to guys for robbery-homicide, central bureau, Newton division, busiest in L.A." Spencer says.