047. the longest night

The unsub killed Matt, beat Kristin, and kidnapped Ellie. When Bedelia, Spencer, and JJ get to the house, the medics are driving away.

"How many cops are there in L.A.?" JJ asks.

"City or county?" Spencer asks.

"You actually know the answer?" JJ asks.

"I know both answers." Spencer says.

"It's white and extremely dirty. A very old RV." They see a cop talking to the press. "With a male, white, in his fifties." The three go inside where Derek, Hotch, and Rossi are. Derek is injured and he groans as he stands up.

"Derek." JJ says.

"I'm all right." He says.

"You don't look all right." Spencer says.

"Reid, drop it." Derek orders.

"Sorry." Spencer mumbles.

"The local bureau office found us these satellite phones." JJ says, handing them out. "It should bypass an outage problems on the ground."

"Good." Hotch says.

"Any word on Ellie?" JJ asks. She watches Derek get his jacket, an angry look on his face and he leaves. "I was just--"

"It's not you." Hotch tells her, following Derek outside.

+++

"All right, what we have is an unsub in complete behavioral chaos." Hotch says.

"Meaning?" Kurzbard asks.

"Serial offenders, especially long term, successful ones, don't just suddenly change what they do or how they do it." Rossi says.

"Going after a high risk target like a police detective and then all of a sudden abducting a child is fairly unhear of." Spencer says.

"Fairly?" Kurzbard asks.

"Sometimes they devolve as they know we're getting closer to them and their time's running out." Hotch says.

"But this unsub doesn't appear to be devolving. Devolution generally means loss of control. They find it harder and harder to keep the outside world from noticing them." Derek says.

"I think he's becoming more controlled. He spent a lifetime murdering seemingly random victims, then out of nowhere sought out Spicer, recreated his parents' murder, lured him into a trap, killed him and took his daughter." Spencer says. "The behavioral spectrum is alarmingly different."

Derek's satellite phone rings and he answers it.

"Yeah, Garcia." He says. "Sorry's not helping anybody. I need results." He says angrily before hanging up. "Garcia's got nothing on the partial plate."

"Maybe Kristin's wrong." Rossi says. "It's not surprising considering her situation at the time."

"So how the hell are we supposed to find this guy?" Derek questions.

"We can contact him." Emily states, walking in. "Kristen remembered in the ambulance that the unsub listens to news radio incessantly. He would even stop assaulting her if the broadcaster said anything about The Prince of Darkness."

"Makes sense for a narcissist." Rossi says.

"Oh, no." JJ says.

"What is it?" Hotch asks.

"The LAPD just put all the information they have out to the press." JJ states.

"What do you mean?" Derek asks.