032. reckoner

"What have we got?" Hotch asks.

"Ben Vanderwaal was killed in Commack, Long Island, last night, shot at close range." JJ says. "Once in the heart, once in the head, .22 caliber shell."

"They found hair and blood traces from Ben Vanderwaal's wife, Heather." Derek says.

"But not Heather?" Rossi asks.

"No, she's still missing, presumed dead." JJ says. "The caliber and placement of the bullets match that of two previous victims. The first, Rita Haslat, 8 months ago she went missing from her home in New Jersey. 4 weeks later, she was found in a trash bin."

"She went from that to this in under three weeks?" Emily asks, looking at the photos. "She's totally emaciated."

"Ligature marks on her wrists and ankles indicate she was constrained." Spencer says.

"One in the heart, one in the head -- same as Vanderwaal." Derek says.

"Sounds more like an execution." Hotch says.

"Then why cut off Vanderwaal's hands postmortem?" Spencer asks.

"What about the third victim?" Rossi asks.

"Bill Levington. His appearance was certainly altered." JJ says.

"His genitals were missing." Emily says.

"Though the method of mutilation is different in each crime, clearly there's a signature. The question is, what? Wheels up in 20 minutes." Hotch says, standing up. He tosses a file towards Spencer.

"What's this?" He asks.

"You told me you were cleared to travel. You lied." Hotch says.

"Naughty boy." Emily comments.

"Spencer Reid." Bedelia chides.

"Wh--" He looks at her wide eyed. "Uh, no, I didn't." Spencer argues, looking away from the Davis woman. "I am a doctor, so technically, it wasn't a lie."

"What was it, then?" Penelope asks.

"Um... second opinion." Spencer says.

"Hmm. You're my bitch now." Penelope says before walking out. Derek laughs as he leaves.

Spencer looks back at Bedelia who still has an annoyed and somewhat stern look on her face.

"It was a second opinion." He insists.

"Mm-hmm." She hums, rolling her eyes. She grabs the file and gets up.

"Wh-- Delia." Spencer whines.

"Thin ice, pal." Bedelia looks back at him.

"I didn't do anything!" He calls after her as she leaves the room.

"Have fun with that." Hotch comments.

"With what?" Spencer frowns in confusion.

Hotch just smirks and walks out.

"What?" Spencer asks.

+++

Heather was found wandering around and she's now in the hospital. JJ and Bedelia get there and go into her room.

"Heather, my name is Agent Jareau. This is Agent Banks. We have some questions for you." JJ says, sitting next to the bed. "So you came home, you tried to turn the lights on, but they didn't work. What did you do next?"

Heather holds onto JJ's hand.

"I saw a light." Heather says. "A flash. I opened the door, and Ben was there, tied to a chair, I think he was dead. There was another flash. It blinded me for a moment."