010. lo-fi

"Don't get comfortable. There'll be time to debrief on the plane." Hotch says as the others walk into the round table room.

"Where are we headed?" Spencer asks.

"New York." Hotch answers.

"Five shootings in two weeks. It's about time we got the call." Rossi comments.

"I wan to take Garcia with us. Hopefully they'll give us access to their surveillance systems." Hotch says.

"What do we know?" Emily asks.

"All the killing are mid-day. Single gunshot to the head with a .22." Hotch explains.

"Any witnesses?" JJ asks.

"No." Hotch answers.

".22 caliber pistol's only 152 decibels. New York streets and subways are routinely well over 100. It could be people aren't even registering the gunshot until the unsub's already leaving the scene." Spencer says.

"They sound like mob hits." Derek says.

"Except none of them have ties to organized crime." Hotch says.

"Do they have any connection to each other?" Bedelia asks.

"None they've found." Hotch says.

"How about communication with the police?" Derek asks. "Has the unsub tried to make contact?"

"Surveillance cameras have captured video of three of the murders. This is the latest." Hotch says, showing the video.

"That's the best image they have?" JJ asks.

"They're all the same. He wears a hood and keeps his head down." Hotch says.

"This guy's bold. Crowded areas, broad daylight." Emily says.

"So they're completely random?" Rossi asks.

"It seems that way." Hotch says.

"Son of Sam all over again." Spencer says.

+++

"How come I only to get travel with you guys, like, once every two years?" Penelope asks as she gets on the plane.

"Trust me, it can get old." Derek says.

"Oh, right, like the way that spa treatments in 5 star hotels can get old." Penelope remarks.

"Remember the time we got on board and they hadn't chilled the Cristal?" Emily asks.

"I almost quit the BAU that day." Derek says.

"Okay, you know what? You guys can joke all you want." Penelope says. "Cause I am never leaving this plane."

"The victims?" Rossi asks.

"Each killed in a completely different neighborhood." Hotch says. "Hell's Kitchen, Murray Hill, lower east side, Chinatown, east Harlem."

"It doesn't make any sense. There's no common victimology, no sexual component, no robbery, no geographical connection." Spencer says. "Do the police have any leads?"

"He's killing roughly ever 2 days. The press is having a field day, and it sounds like the mood on the street's getting pretty edgy." Hotch says.

"It's a joint FBI-NYPD taskforce?" Rossi asks.

"Kate Joyner heads up the New York field office. She's running point on the case and called me directly." Hotch says. "JJ, would you tell them we're ready to go?"

"Right." JJ says.

"Kate's tarting to butt heads with the lead detectives and wanted a fresh set of eyes." Hotch says.