103. the inspired

They get back to the city and get to the station.

"You let him go?" Derek asks.

"We didn't have a choice." Lynne says. "He's a paralegal at a law firm. Jesse called the lead partner and within minutes the whole firm was here with employment records."

Derek's phone rings.

"Excuse us." He tells her, the team going into the conference room. "Hey, make it good, mama. We are stuck on our own 20."

"I don't know if this is the penalty kick you need, but here's what I got on Jesse Gentry." Penelope says. "He was put up for adoption a smidge before he and his brother turned 3. His adoptive parents kept his first name, raised him in Phoenix, and he came to Glendale 5 years ago for work."

"Any contact between him, Wallace, and their mom?" JJ asks.

"Sort of -- ellipses -- and about a year ago he unsealed his adoption record." Penelope says.

"So, he knew he had a twin." Rossi says.

"He could have inserted himself into the investigation as a decoy to help his brother out." Spencer says.

"Hold your handsome horses, boy wonder. His cell phone is clean, there's no credit card overlap. So just looking at the -- pardon the dirty word -- metadata, he hasn't had any contact with his family here." Penelope says.

"Go through all that work and not make contact? Come on." JJ scoffs.

"At this point, everything's on the table." Hotch says. "Dave and I will coordinate the manhunt for Wallace. Reid, you, Davis, and Blake talk to Carla Hines. She was the last person to see her son. JJ, you and Morgan keep tabs on Jesse. Even though he wasn't part of the original investigation, he is now."

"Agent Hotchner." Lynne walks in. "His lawyer wants to talk."

+++

Blake parks outside of Carla's house and the three get out.

"I'm just saying it's the kind of mistake that can end careers." Blake says.

"So Hotch doesn't get the section chief job." Spencer says.

"Spencer, Jesse Gentry is threatening a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the bureau. It's not just Hotch, it could be all of us." Blake says. She's looking at something across the street making the other two follow her gaze. "That's the car Wallace stole from the shootout."

They get their guns out and Spencer gets on his phone.

"This is SSA Spencer Reid requesting backup at 505 Palmetto Street." Spencer says before putting his phone up. "Stay in the car." He tells Bedelia as he and Blake rush to the house. Bedelia silently curses, getting in the car.

"FBI!" Blake shouts. "Carla Hines! Anybody home?" Bedelia watches them go inside.

+++

"She also tried to destroy a birth certificate." Spencer says, walking over and putting the ruined certificate on the table along with the other stuff he's pulled out.

"It still looks like mom was trying to burn everything that mentioned Jesse, right?" Blake asks.

"Mm-hmm. Based on what I'm salvaging." Spencer says.

"Then why didn't she burn the Apgar scores?" Blake questions as she walks over and gives Spencer the piece of paper.

"This identifies both twins by name." Spencer says. "How'd she miss this?"

"She didn't." Blake says. "She burned other sections of the box."

"So this isn't about Jesse." Bedelia says. "She's trying to hide something else."