099. #6

"It looks like someone is taking the term "Motor City" too literally." Penelope says. "In the last month, Detroit P.D. has found two different crime scenes in the trunks of two different cabs."

"Married couples in each trunk?" JJ asks.

"Yeah. Brian and Melissa in car number one. Paul and Elizabeth Garrett in car number two." Penelope says. "Elizabeth was found alive by a couple of kids, but by the time the paramedics got there, she had lost too much blood."

"Well, it takes a lot of skill to force a couple into their own car, even with a gun." Derek says.

"But once he does, it's one stop shopping for this guy." Rossi says. "This car becomes an abduction vehicle and a dumping site."

"According to missing persons reports, he holds on to them for about a week." Spencer says. "Do you know what he does with them during that time?"

"Yes, unfortunately I do, and that information is on your tablets in picture form." Penelope says. "And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to my happy place." Spencer leans over to look at the tablet in Bedelia's hands.

"Ah." Rossi comments.

"Wow, this guy sure likes to cut, doesn't he?" Derek asks.

"Mostly shallow. They could almost be considered hesitation marks, except for the sheer number." JJ says.

"M.E. puts the count at nearly 50 per victim, and the cause of death is one final stab that's fatal." Penelope says.

"Physical and psychological sadism. They never know if the next cut is the one that will kill them." Blake says.

"And the amount of urban decay in Detroit gives him a lot of room to maneuver. We need to stop him before he takes another couple." Hotch says.

+++

"What'd you find?" Hotch asks.

"Well, date night is very important to this unsub." Spencer says.

"He goes on dates?" The detective asks.

"No, but his victims do, and the unsub knows that." Spencer says. "Brian and Melissa Cain were abducted on a Saturday night. Their last known credit card purchase was at an ice cream shop they regularly frequent."

"And then Paul and Elizabeth Garrett had a standing matinee they went to every Sunday. They were abducted in the early evening, most likely on the way to their car." Bedelia says.

"He stalks them and learns their routines." Hotch says.

"Picks couples oriented activities as his moment to strike." Spencer says. "Seeing them happy could enrage him."

"It gives him the upper hand." Hotch says. "They're focused on each other. They don't see him coming."

"Okay, then, but how does he get them both into the car?" The detective asks.

+++

They're at the crime scene and talking to the victim's husband. He sobs when he sees her body in the trunk.

"Oh, God." He cries.

"Uh, Mr. Hammond, if you want, we can do this at the station." Blake offers.

"No. No, what do you need to know?" He asks.

"Can you explain why it took you two days to file a missing persons report on Mary?" Spencer asks.

"I was traveling. I didn't know." He says.

"You didn't check in with your wife?" Bedelia asks.

"We'd been fighting." He says.

"About what?" Blake asks.