041. solitary man

"Her name was Tanya Hill. She was 29, a bartender." JJ says. "Found 2 days ago in Edgewood, New Mexico. She's the fifth woman in over six months to be found dead in a ditch off the I-40 and I-25."

"All were manually strangled. None were sexually assaulted." Hotch says.

"Well, maybe the act of strangulation is what gets him off." Derek suggests.

"Where were they abducted from?" Emily asks.

"All over." JJ says, sitting down.

"Well, they're not just crossing over state lines. These cities are hundreds of miles apart." Derek says.

"That's a lot of bodies. Why is it taking so long to be invited?" Rossi asks.

"We haven't been invited. We found this on HSK database." Hotch says.

"Well, a lot of police departments won't want this problem." Derek says.

"The geographic profile shows that only one of them has it. They just don't know it yet." Spencer says.

"How do you know that?" Rossi asks.

"Because he has a comfort zone." Spencer says. "Based on the direction he was heading when he dumped the bodies. All five cases point to our unsub heading to Edgewood, New Mexico."

"Now so are we." Hotch states.

+++

"Clearly this unsub doesn't care about his victims being found." Derek says.

"Or he knows he can't be linked to them." Hotch says.

The M.E.'s report supports that." Emily says. "Matching DNA found on all five victims."

"But not in any database." Hotch says.

"Right." Emily says.

"It's also in keeping with the victimology and abduction sites." Spencer says.

"Which are what?" Emily asks.

"Target rich and offender friendly." Spencer says.

"Time of death from time of abduction varies dramatically in each case." Hotch says.

"Some lived 12 hours, others 24 before they were killed." Bedelia says.

"So what's he doing with them?" JJ asks.

"Well, he's not having sex with them. There's no sign of torture or even restraints." Derek says. "What was the matching DNA?"

"Uh, skin. That and metal shavings were found under the fingernails of all five victims." Emily says. "Tanya only had one nail left."

"One nail?" JJ asks as Emily puts a photo of Tanya's hand down.

"Yeah. It looks like whatever she was in, she tried to claw her way out." Emily says.

"JJ, have Garcia match victimology and abduction sites to HSK findings for the last year." Hotch says.

"If he sticks to this timeline, Edgewood is about to discover another body." Emily states.

+++

Bedelia, Spencer, and Rossi get to a dump site.

"So she was abducted 32.9 miles west of here, which means if they drove the speed limit they got here in 30 minutes or less." Spencer says.

"So, how long's it gonna take you to get in that ditch?" Rossi asks.

"I got shot in the knee, remember? My doctor said I'm not allowed to do any climbing." Spencer says.