074. self-fulfilling prophecy

"Somerville Military Academy, Oceanside, Florida, 5 boys were found hanging this morning." Hotch says.

"The bodies are at the medical examiner's now." Strauss says.

"There's no photos?" Derek asks.

"School personnel thought they may still be alive, so they cut them out of the trees." Strauss says.

"Jimmy Burbage, Phil Mumford, Jerry Bowden, Jack Briggs, Tucker Calhoun." Hotch lists.

"So we're walking into a contaminated crime scene." Derek says. "They don't have anything solid?"

""We're sorry" was carved in a tree branch nearby." Hotch says.

"This happened on campus?" Emily asks.

"No, in the woods about an hour away." Hotch says.

"How long were they out there?" Bedelia asks.

"6 days." Strauss answers.

"Without supervision?" Bedelia asks.

"It was an outward bound mission for the upperclassmen." Strauss says.

"What drove them to suicide?" Spencer asks.

"A freshman cadet, Bailey Shelton, hung himself 2 weeks ago in his room." Strauss says.

"Identical bed sheet, hangman's knot." Hotch says.

"Who takes sheets camping?" Rossi asks.

"They would if it was the plan. Could be domino effect." JJ says.

"The campus would have been on high alert after the first one, so the kids wait until they're alone in the woods." Rossi says.

"They must have made some kind of pact." Derek says.

"And there's something else." Hotch says. "6 kids went on the trip. Only 5 were found."

"The school officials confirm that Josh Redding is still missing." Strauss says.

"Maybe he chickened out of the pact." Derek says.

"Or was never part of it." Spencer says.

"And the campus is completely off the grid. No internet." Hotch says.

"I can help with that." Penelope says.

"Which is why you're coming with us." Hotch tells her.

"Oh." She mumbles.

"And so am I." Strauss states.

"Isn't Somerville the director's alma mater?" Rossi asks.

"Yes. The academy has enjoyed a spotless reputation, so the hope is to keep the investigation in house." Strauss says.

"I imagine there's a lot of concern for Josh. He's been in the woods almost a week." Emily says.

"So how's he surviving?" JJ asks.

+++

They get to the academy and park the SUVs. They all get out, Bedelia and Spencer going to the trunk to help unload Penelope's stuff.

"Colonel Massey." Strauss greets, shaking his hand. "Erin Strauss. This is the team I spoke with you about."

"Agent Hotchner." He shakes Massey's hand. "This is Agent Morgan, Agent Jareau, Agent Davis, Dr. Spencer Reid, and Penelope Garcia."

Bedelia holds in her laugh when Spencer gives Massey a peace sign.

"Sir, shouldn't the flag be at half-mast?" Derek asks.