109. the return

"A few hours ago, a lone gunman shot and killed 3 people inside a downtown Chicago diner." Penelope states. "Then, he was taken down by a plainclothes off duty officer who happened to be in the restaurant at the same time of the shooting."

"Well, it sounds like they got their guy. Why are they requesting our help?" Derek asks.

"Because an ATM from across the street captured this image of the shooter getting out a late model Sedan just moments before the shooting, and here's a shot of his driver who then sped off." Penelope says, showing them the photos.

"Chicago P.D. I.D.'d the shooter as 16 year old Gavin Rossler after getting a composite match from the national center for missing and exploited children." Hotch says. "According to the database, Gavin's been missing for nearly 4 years."

"It looks like back in 2009 when the mother filed the police report she insisted Gavin had been abducted." JJ says.

"Mom was not the most credible source. She was in and out of rehab facilities for drug and alcohol abuse, died 6 months of an apparent drug overdose." Spencer says.

"It says here Gavin had run away from home several times but always returned within 24 hours." Bedelia says.

"Which could be why local P.D. initially categorized him as a runaway rather than missing." Rossi says.

"So where's this kid been all this time and where did he meet his partner in crime?" Derek questions.

"Garcia, have you been able to I.D. the driver?" Blake asks.

"Negative. I'm running the image through facial recognition software right now, though." Penelope says.

"We can't rule out the possibility that the driver is the person responsible for Gavin's disappearance." Hotch says.

"If that's the case, chances are he's out looking for his next victim." Derek says.

"How does a 12 year old runaway turn into a cold blooded killer?" Rossi inquires.

"Wheels up in 30."

+++

"Leah Rollins was the first victim. She was working her regular overnight shift at the diner. The second victim was Kyle Workman. He worked at a local convenience store. And the third was Violet Hartford. She was a school teacher." Penelope says.

"It seems like other than late night cravings, there was no connection between the victims and Gavin." Rossi says.

"It looks as though he was born into a high risk lifestyle. Dad's been incarcerated since Gavin was 4." Spencer says.

"On two separate occasions, he was removed from his mother's custody and placed in foster care." Hotch says.

"Well, despite all that, he managed to get good grades." Blake says.

"So 4 years ago, why did he choose that day to leave?" JJ questions.

"Well, that's if he left by choice." Blake says.

"Well, the mom's boyfriend moved in a couple weeks prior. Maybe he and Gavin were bumping heads. I mean, things might have even gotten physical between the two of them." Derek suggests.

"Yeah, at one point mom admitted that she and Prince Charming had been out on a binge for a couple of days." Rossi says.

"Which means Gavin would have been left home alone to fend for himself. And I'm sure that wasn't the first time." Bedelia says. "Maybe he just had enough."

"This kid's from Garfield Park. That's prime gang territory. If he was left unsupervised from sunup to sundown, chances are he fell in with the wrong crowd." Derek says.