Chapter 2

Eli turns at the end of the hallway. You walk a little faster to catch up to him. He walks into the art room and approaches a boy with black hair and red highlights, painting on a canvas. Eli sits behind the guy and rests his head on the table. You assume the guy painting is Ren. 

"I see your face is all beaten up again..." Ren says not taking his eyes off his painting.

"Mmm..." Eli groans, pulling his hoodie down to fully cover his face. You stand by the door, listening in on them. 

"You know... It's probably best to just tell someone about what they are doing to you." Ren suggests while pouring more paint on to his palette. 

"Go to who exactly?" Eli asks, lifting his head a bit to look at Ren.

"The police..." Ren mumbles.

"What's the police going to do? Even if I did go to them, I will only give them a bigger reason to beat me up." Eli sighs, shoving his face into his arm.

"Hi Yuki..." Ren says dabbing his paintbrush in water. "It's been a long time since you came to the art room..." He smiles and begins painting again. Eli lifts his head up and looks towards the doorway. You slowly walk into the art room. Eli squints his eyes at you and then sighs. 

"Why did you follow me in here?" Eli asks.

"Who is Toman? And why are they beating you up?" You ask, fidgeting with your hoodie sleeve. Ren slowly looks at you and then at Eli.

"A gang..." Eli replies.

"Okay... and why are they beating you up?" Eli doesn't respond to your question. Ren chuckles and continues painting.

"Do you have a bad memory?" Ren asks you. You shrug. "A couple of months ago Eli accidently knocked over one of the Toman members bike... The bike had scratches on it and so they demanded two hundered thousand yen." 

Holy shit... that's a lot of money... You thought.

"Yeah... and I can't even afford it, so they have been asking for money little by little." Eli concurred. You slowly nod, staring at the painting Ren is making. He's drawing trees and mountains. For the way he looks his paintings look so relaxing.

"So, they beat you up each time they ask for money?" You ask. Ren smiles and looks you in the eyes.

"Yeah... because he keeps running away or hiding." You look at Eli who's avoiding eye contact with you. "Your grandfather has taught you how to fight... right?" You nod. "You should take Eli to go meet your grandfather..." Ren says.

"You're saying that too?" Eli states listlessly. 

"Eli... what's wrong with going to her grandfather's place and learning a little bit." Ren asks.

"..." Eli rests his head into his arms. Ren sighs and goes back to painting. You don't know why Eli is avoiding help but it's concerning. 

"Eli..." You say, walking closer to him. He looks up at you. "Give it a try... at least..." You say. Eli's eyes dim and he looks down. "I can join you in your training if you don't want to be alone..." Eli's eyes lit up when you say that... which honestly surprised you. 

"Really?" He asks. You nod and smile. He slightly smiles and nods his head. Ren chuckles quietly. "Why are you laughing..." Eli asks.

"Oh... No reason..." Ren replies. Ren looks at you and smiles and then looks towards the doorway and sighs. You lift an eyebrow and look towards the doorway to see Aimi and Hana standing by the door. 

"SOOOOO YOU ARE GOING NOW?!?" Hana mocks Eli. Eli ignores her and puts his head back down. 

"It really took talking to Ren for you to go..." Aimi says. Eli doesn't respond. Aimi sighs and looks at you. "I guess that means no karaoke tonight..." Aimi pouts and then smiles patting your head. You look at Eli and then back at Aimi.