Chapter Eighteen- Mystery Revealed

Previously...

Stretching, I went to open the door of my room. Hopefully he convinced my mom that I did not go partying last night or else I'm so screwed.

Before I could reach my room, Liz called out.

"Sweetie, is that you?" Liz called out from the living room. Of course, who else would it be?

"Yeah it's me." I said, rubbing my eyes although she couldn't see.

Time to get my act together.

"How was the sleepover?" Liz asked, as I walked reluctantly to meet her at the TV.

"It was fun. Layla showed me her new nail polish colour." I lied, trying to sound convincing.

She wrinkled her nose.

"Did you kids drink alcohol?" Oops I have for got to get rid of the evidence, silly me. Mentally, I slapped myself.

"Yes, we did." I said, unable to deny it. At least it was a bit of the truth.

"This is the last time that I am hearing about this. No more alcohol from now on, is that clear?" Liz said sternly.

"Yes, Liz." I said meekly. 

"And make sure you inform me before you sleepover at Layla's house in the future or else I won't let you go out any more." Liz said, continuing as though I had not replied.

"Call me Mom instead of Liz please."

"Why?" I dared to ask.

"Just because. Now go back to your room and think about what you did." Liz snapped.

I had no choice but to do as she said, rolling my eyes when she was out of my sight.

Liz was overreacting as always, but maybe it was just because she was concerned abut me.

I had already got off easily, as she had not interrogated further about the alcohol, or she would lock me out of the house or refuse to give me food.

I heaved a sigh of relief as I closed my room door.

"By the way, your tutor was kind enough to inform me of your whereabouts that you have failed to mention and even sent you here. You ought to go say thanks to him when you've decided to be more responsible." Liz said, shouting across to me.

I almost cracked a smile at the irony in that statement. If only you knew.

When I'd showered, I checked my phone.

9 missed calls from Mom

3 missed calls from Alex

2 missed calls from an unknown number

Unknown number? I frowned, my brows creasing. Why did this seem a little bit familiar?

5 messages

1 from Layla

3 from Vince

1 from the unknown number

I clicked the one from Layla first. It read: hello? where are you? did u go back safely?

After I reassured her, I clicked on the ones from Vince.

It read: Hey kitten. Hope you are well-rested and still breathing.

The second one read: Call me?

The third one read: Since you have not called me or replied, I ought to be slightly worried.