Chapter Thirty-Seven- Holding On And Letting Go

Amanda's POV

My heart sank. There was a high possibility, no doubt that Vince would misinterpret my response. Hopefully he would understand by reading the note.

While Vince was speaking, it had come to my attention that the room might be bugged. After discovering numerous bugs within the house in the past few months, I had no doubt that my room had a rather high possibility that it was equipped with vice recorders and possibly cameras.

Well, I could not take any chances with Vince. The cameras might not be from Liz or my dad, but it may be from an external organization. Even worse, I thought, shivering involuntarily. I didn't want our lives to be disrupted or invaded privacy.

Thus, kicking him out may be the most effective solution at the moment, just to be safe, but I was kind of regretting my decision knowing Vince could be worrying like crazy right now.

Time for Amanda to sneak out. It was the first time that I had decided to do such a thing but hopefully it would work.

I opened my door only a small crack slowly, afraid of making a sound. The hallway was dark and silent, the television from downstairs switched off. Perfect, time for me to go.

Quickly, I changed into a grey sweater and a pair of dark jeans. Afterwards, I shut the door silently. Where were the stairs? It was so dark and my eyes had to adjust to the darkness. This was so stupid. I should have just let him stay in.

I tripped over something. It was my own feet. "Bloody shit." I cussed quietly to myself. Finally, I located the stairs and descended them slowly.

After like a million years, I reached the bottom and unlocked the door in double quick time. I stepped out into the cold night.

"Boo." An achingly familiar voice next to my ear said. I jumped, yelping slightly and pushed whoever was there on impulse to the ground.

"Ouch. You didn't have to tackle me like that." Vince complained, grabbing my wrist with his warm hand and dragging me to the ground with him.

"Either way ,it was not an accident." I grinned, grateful and relieved that he was actually here.

"Thanks for waiting for me." I admitted shyly.

"I will always be." Vince smiled, but I could see the sadness behind his eyes.

"Sorry about just now, I thought the room was being bugged." I admitted, hanging my head.

"You almost gave me a heart attack, you know." He said seriously, his eyes staring into mine.

"Anyway, I had made sure to remove the bugs when I was there, actually." He quipped. His change of mood so frequently was really difficult to keep up with.

"How did you know?" I inquired.

Finally, as we were sitting on the bench, he told me about his 'gang' which was only a cover for his criminal organization. He also told me that they taught him special skills and abilities, such as how to install or remove a bug.

"Actually the bugs were installed by me, long time ago." Vince said sheepishly.

I sat, wide eyed, not knowing what to say.

"I didn't know you spied on me." I squeaked out.

"It wasn't meant for personal reasons, I promise. It was just something that we had to install at our subject's place." Vince said, humor lighting up his features.

He told me that he had been assigned to me as a subject and that he had to carry out various tasks to get the file with money.

"But somehow, my conscious knew that it was wrong to do such things, and that I was gradually falling for you." He smiled sadly.

"But it was difficult to stop, wasn't it?" I asked, touched by his words.

"Yes, it was. But I failed every test that my parents had given me and this was a big indication that I could not continue with this lifestyle any longer." He whispered, his breath on my cheek, warm.

Finally, he explained that he had been kicked out from his organization, for now at least. "Does that mean that you do not need to participate in more of such..activities in the future?" I asked, perplexed.

Somehow, I accepted that fact that he was a criminal in the past. However, his honesty and sincerity made me understand and empathise with him, and it gave me confidence that he could change from his old ways, although it would be difficult.

He nodded slowly, and although he seemed calm, I knew that it had been a big part of his life, and it would be hard to let go.

"Won't you miss it?" I asked him quietly, putting my head against his chest and he pulled me in closer.

"Undeniably yes, but to know that I have to hide things from you, I miss you more." Vince whispered, and I knew that it was the truth.

This love that we had has been what is keeping us together no matter what, and I know that no matter what happens, Vince will always be on my side.

"I did not follow up with the plan because of one reason, and I have no regrets." He whispered.

"Thank you." I whispered simply, because no words could describe the experiences that he had to give up or the experiences in life that were no doubt memorable to him.

In the cold midnight air, time seemed to have stilled as Vince put his lips against mine softly. Jerry was never comparable to this, or any thing even remotely close.

His lips were warm and he tasted of caramel. It was a sweet kiss at first, then it deepened.

Our tongues moved in sync, drowning out each other's worries and fears. We kissed passionately, and we breathed in the same space. Although it was a cold night, our hearts were warm inside.

He tasted of passion, warmth and familiarity. Finally, we broke apart and he bit my lip slowly, his eyes not leaving mine. His lip piercing brushed my jawline, making it tingle.

"Are you seducing me?" I asked breathlessly.

"Oh, kitten I won't dare." He said innocently, his eyes alight with humor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New update! This book is coming to a close soon as you can tell ;)

Thanks for reading all the way until here I am utterly grateful. Vote and comment please I love reading your comments.

Love, Solaire