Chapter Thirty-Six- Expect The Unexpected

Vince's POV

As she curled up beside me on the bed, she had never looked more relaxed. Me, on the other hand, felt the butterflies in my stomach, tight with fear. Will she reject me, seeing the end scenario? I knew my heart could not take the rejection again, after she walked out during the match. She was my weakness, whether she knew it or not.

I will just omit some details, for it to hurt less. This will be for the best.

Amanda cleared her throat expectantly, seeing as I had yet to respond. Get a grip, Vince.

"Okay, where do you want me to start?" I asked conversationally, although it didn't actually come out appropriately, sounding like an innuendo even to me.

Dammit Vince! Stop thinking about her like that. It's not the right time. Was it ever?

"Start as you like." Amanda whispered, making my words sound even more suggestive. Was she doing this on purpose? Well, no harm to humor her.

"Are you trying to seduce me? " I asked casually once again.

She flipped her hair back and stared at me in mock horror." I won't dare, mister." She said innocently.

"Mister huh? Better be calling me that from now on, kitten." I drawled out for emphasis, giving her a small grin.

Before she could react, loud and heavy footsteps were on the stairs. They were going to reach our room any minute.

"Do they know you're here?" Amanda hissed in panic. "No." I hissed back.

"I'll hide under the covers. Act natural." I whispered before covering the blanket over my head.

Not a second later, the door clicked open. Amanda tensed up immediately. How's that with act natural, I thought grimly.

Well, if any consolation, if Liz sees me, I would not need to explain to Amanda because I will be kicked out and probably dead. Bit of a challenge explaining how we could be having tuition with me under the covers..

An agonisingly long moment passed before there was a voice. It was muffled so I strained my ears to hear it. "Amanda?" Someone's voice echoed into the room. It was male and I couldn't recognise who is was.

"Yes? " Amanda's voice echoed out cautiously. From the way she tensed up further, I knew it wasn't a friendly encounter.

"Good night. " The voice said and I heard the door shut softly.

Amanda heaved a sigh of relief and I took the cue that we were safe for now.

"Who was that?" I asked casually. "My dad," Amanda replied in a beat. That's right, I had almost forgotten that her dad was here. Released from prison. Could it be-

"Was his name by any chance Robinson Miller?" I asked. She thought for a second before nodding, her eyes curious. I could tell she was looking for answers. "How do you know..?"

Amanda leaner his head against my shoulder. "My dad hired someone for a job to eliminate one of our potential rivals." I said cautiously, not sure how she would react.

Her eyes widened but other than that there was no other emotion. It could be safe to continue.

"He had to be daring enough to kill, yet not significant enough to be of much commotion if he got caught."

"There was a man around the corner of the street that by dad was working at that day, and he seemed fit. Without hesitation, my dad offered him a job in a black envelope and told him to open it when he got back."

"Wait so he did it for free?" Amanda asked, perplexed.

"For five million dollars." Vince said.

"And that person, if I'm not wrong, is your dad." Vince said.

Amanda nodded, she didn't look the least bit shocked. "I knew from the start that he was involved in illicit stuff, but I had no proof."

"But that was not the reason he went to prison for." Amanda continued mysteriously.

What? I was so convinced that he got caught thus he went to prison because of it but I had no idea that he was involved elsewhere.

"What did he go for prison for then?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

"Well, I'll tell you later. It's your turn to explain how your dad needed to eliminate someone." She stated.

That's observant of her to realise that. Okay here goes nothing. I took a deep breath to calm myself down.

"My dad was the head of a secret society, " I said, in a breath. After a beat, I continued. "Of thieves."

I scanned her face for her response. She looked slightly taken aback, and looking side to side.

"Get out of my house." She said crossing her arms.

Holy shit. I didn't expect that she would have such a response. I moved back, not knowing how to act. Would she kick me out? Where would I stay?

She stared at me. "Move," she commanded, pulling out of my embrace.

But her dad and Liz were in the house, so I couldn't exit from the front door or they might see me.

"I'm sorry. " I stuttered out, my words shaky. The numbness was slowly creeping into my heart, making me weak in my knees and getting hopeless.

"Just get out of my house now. Please." Amanda said without a trace of emotion.

Seeing as if I had no choice, I quickly unlocked the window. Amanda wrote something on a piece of paper but I couldn't see what it was.

Deep down, I had known that this might be a possible scenario. What did I expect? Her to accept me as the monster I am?

With my heart sinking, I climbed out of the window, the cool air chill against my skin. It was freezing cold.

Amanda stuffed the piece of paper in my pocket while I was climbing down. I looked into her eyes and there was some emotion swimming beneath the surface.

Sadness, anger, fear? Slowly I climbed down, Amanda watching my every move. It was quite a jump to the bottom and I braced myself for the landing.

I had no idea that this will be so disastrous. At the bottom, I opened the piece of paper.

"Meet you outside, wait for me. Don't leave."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't kill me OK.
***

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment please. Love, Solaire :)