Chapter Five- Fighting (EDITED)

Vince

I knew this would happen. My past is finally catching up to me, trapping me and I can't escape this time. 

My arms were still shaking from the fight I had yesterday night. It was a fight at a fight club, somewhere that I went in order to bring home a little bit of money. Or a lot, I thought, when times were good.

Yesterday, I had to drop Amanda off at Layla's place first as she had a small accident with a netball. Well, that is nothing compared to what I faced yesterday, I thought grimly. However, I did not want to let her know, as the underground world was dangerous but especially to her. 

I couldn't imagine what the gangs would do if they got her. I shivered uncomfortably but tried to shrug it off. She was just interesting to me because she is sort of immune to my charms, and I don't see her falling head over heels for me yet. 

Yesterday, the opponent I faced was from a rival gang. His body was muscular and he was tall, towering over me. I had faced such rivals before in my training, but this still made me break out a sweat. 

We were standing in a fighting ring, in a small area behind an underground bar. These fighting dens were illegal, and they were meant to be kept out of plain sight. However, the interior of the place was enormous and there were many spectators watching. They were betting which side would be the victor, and these bets could go up to thousands of dollars. This was one of the reasons I still participated in these fights. 

The crowd screamed wildly when they saw us. Me, with my boxing gloves and him, towering over me. I got to do it, I need the money, I thought to myself and swung my fist. My opponent caught my fist easily and swung me down to the mat. This was not going well. After he gained a few points, I was starting to get worried. 

Luckily, I managed to outsmart him and moved quickly to avoid his attacks. The announcer announced that I won but at this point, my head was spinning and my whole body was reeking with sweat and bruises. I tasted blood on my lips.

No way I was able to go to school the next day. Hence, after collecting my money which was supposed to pay for my school and tuition fees, I left. 

My friend offered to drive me back and I was grateful for that. He turned right and we arrived at a large mansion with a garden and swimming pool. I was staying with my dad, mom, and brother in a large house. My family was pretty wealthy and well-off, but I didn't have a good relationship with them, especially my dad. 

When I reached my room, I collapsed and fell asleep immediately in exhaustion. The next time I opened my eyes and looked at the clock, I realized it was already lunchtime. I could still get to school to attend the last lesson, I guess. I thought to myself and started getting dressed.

When I was heading to class, my brother, Damien approached me in the hallway. He was a senior, in the year above mine.

He had blond hair and green eyes, which was partly why we looked nothing similar to each other. He was wearing a leather jacket and some shades.

Many people didn't know this, but we were in a gang that was notorious for money laundering, drugs, and gangs. Our parents had been in this industry for years, and we knew that we had to take over them someday. It was an illicit organization, which no one could ever guess. Although there was much wealth in this field, I was hesitant as I wanted to chart my own destiny on my own.

However, I was on a special mission right now, to retrieve a file from my subject. I had never failed before because we have been trained carefully in our organization and made close to no errors.

Damien grabbed my collar, his jaw clenched tightly. He looked on the verge of anger.

"I should have been chosen instead," Damien yelled, swinging a fist at me.

I blocked it but he pushed me to the side and slapped a palm down onto my face, making my nose bleed profusely.

"You? You think that you could handle such a complicated case?" I retorted, ignoring the numbing pain I felt.

"Either way, it would be better than your lousy attempts." He snapped.

"You think?" I managed to croak out. He was already breaking a rule about not confronting anyone in a public environment.

Just when he wanted to speak, I swung and gave him a swift roundhouse kick to the ribs. He groaned, clutching his ribs in pain.

Instinctively, I looked at the tattoo on my arm. It was intricate and fine, with no flaws even in the smallest portions. It bore the crest proudly. Two lions, interlocked with a snake-like figure. Every member had to get the same crest before they were admitted.

The sign was similar to a famous brand, such that we used it for a cover-up for our activities. No one suspected a thing. 

Looking up, I realized Damian was still seething with anger. Well, that was none of my concern. He was always resentful of my success.

Realizing that a crowd had gathered around us, I took a step back. "As much as I would like to settle our argument, I have a reputation to keep, Damian."

Without waiting for a response, I backed off and swung my backpack over my shoulder. Some people were still staring at me with wide eyes. I glared at them and they backed off. This business that we had was between Damian and me only, no one had the right to interfere.

Shaking my head, I thought. Typical Damien. However, I knew he had my interests at heart. He knew that this task would not be easy, and would not want me to get harmed in the process or worse.

My arms were still aching from that fight but I was trying not to flinch from the pain. As I got up, I checked to make sure that I have not forgotten anything. Heaven knows what students will do if they saw my illegal identification card lying around. That was for fights, as I was still underaged. I needed to be 21 to enter fights, but I did not want to wait till then as I wanted to earn the money through my own effort. 

People were still staring at me with their eyes wide open. Idiots. I ignored them and walked through the path that they made especially for me to my next class. At least no teachers caught us.

Taking out my phone, I realized I had 3 missed calls and 2 unread messages. Jeez... 2 missed calls were from Matt, my best friend. The other one was from an unknown caller. Who the hell could it be?

Shaking the thought off, I was about to scroll through the messages when I saw someone blocking my way.

I scowled. I definitely wasn't looking forward to another fight. I was too worse for wear. 

However, upon closer inspection, the face looked rather familiar to me. Long brown hair, hazel eyes. I took a double-take.

Amanda was crossing her arms and staring at me in shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the super late update! thanks for reading! Keep reading and voting on :) I edited it again! It is now the final version. 

~Solaire