Chapter Eleven- Secrets

"That, my friend, is completely out of the question," Layla said, staring at me and crossing her arms. She spoke loudly and passionately, which made some heads turn and stare at us with questioning looks. She was pretty loud sometimes, but that was what I love about her.

"Why not? That black dress is rather new and I've only worn it once." I said defensively. Hey, I really liked that dress! It was a gift from someone. That someone...

"To a funeral." She added, peering down into my face, her unibrow puckering in that way of hers. It was pretty amusing and I lost my train of thought. 

We were seated in the crowded cafeteria. I have left a seat for Alex, just in case he decided to come by today. However, luck was not on my side. It was definitely difficult for him, and I wonder if he would even speak to Layla again to clear the air. 

Oh well.

I guess I needed to give him some privacy.

Speaking of privacy, Layla was taking no prisoners about the homecoming party coming up, and every detail was to be perfect. Me, unfortunately, was to look acceptable as she calls it, which was super tough. 

Sigh. I shouldn't have told her about that dress or I might have a chance to wear it to homecoming with Layla Mikaylee's approval.

"Then what do I do? I have no dresses to wear to homecoming in my closet..." I said sheepishly, looking down at my grey pullover that I have decided to wear for that day.

I had tied my hair into a neat ponytail today, my usual hairstyle for school.

Layla stared at me like I was crazy and had two heads. 

She seemed to have gotten better from her breakup with Alex to be giving her opinion on my fashion choices. I wonder if she was trying to distract herself.

"We go shopping, of course."

"I can't today." I blurted out. The date!

Amanda! My mind chided me to no avail. I shouldn't have said that... Now I will have to tell her that Vince might be coming over.

What do you mean, coming over? I haven't even agreed to it. And why would that matter, by any chance? My mind thought, hissing its disapproval at me. 

The world snapped around me like a rubber band. Suddenly, I was aware that Layla was looking quizzically at me.

Uh oh.

"I have another tuition today." I heard myself say.

No way in hell was I telling Layla about my plans for tonight.

"Uh huh." Layla sounded unconvinced but she decided not to push the matter further. 

"Saturday then?"

"Sure."

During history, I was surprised to see Jerry there.

He looked worn out and defeated, like he hadn't slept for days.

His hair was a little disheveled and he had a bruise on his right eye, like he'd been punched badly.

His clothes were a little dirty and unkempt, quite unlike the Jerry that I was used to.

"Are you okay?" I asked, taking my usual seat.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He said coolly, avoiding my gaze.

"What happened?"

"It's none of your business, just leave me alone." He snapped at me, and shifted further away, as if I was the one with the problem.

What the hell?