Chapter Thirty-Four- Truth Revealed

Vince's POV

"He is ready." The doctor, a short plump man with spectacles that hung on the bridge of his nose confirmed, looking anxiously at Damien.

Ready for what? Of course, my parents didn't bother to see me, not after I have failed. Did they even know I'm still alive?

I had been held here in this room, for as long as I could remember. No doubt, my hatred for hospitals have gone up. Deciding to stretch my legs, my bones suddenly had a 'crack' sound, followed by a sharp pain in my rib.

"We have tried to contact your parents, as your condition was getting severe." The doctor said, as if I paid any attention.

Damien was leaning against the wall, tapping away on his smartphone.

"With the help of Damien, they have arrived." After his words, he practically ran out of the room. I heard the door open, then close and open again.

"Vincent." A voice that I didn't recognize spoke. Freezing, I looked up, my jaw hardening. It's them. My breaths, calm and collected before, turned ragged and choppy.

"We heard that you didn't manage to get the file." My dad spoke in a severe and harsh voice.

"I'm sorry, I have failed. Punish me if you need to." I said, unable to keep the bitterness out of my voice.

"We have already punished you enough. Jerry, not your match definitely, defeated you because of your carelessness. It was a test, and you failed it yet again." His harsh words were cutting towards me. Anger was stirring. Why do they have to interfere with everything?

"As I was saying, because of your inability to follow specific instructions,Therefore, we have decided to take matters into our own hands." My mom continued severely.

"No!" I couldn't stop my outburst from my mouth.

It was Amanda's possessions. In fact, for generations they have kept the money in a credit card that was in the file, along with pin numbers. It was rumored that it contained billions.

You see, my family was a bunch of crooks. We used others for money, like my relationship with Emma, and nobody suspected anything. We used the gang to disguise ourselves as criminals. All the tattoos were just a cover for our real identity. We were untraceable, even by the secret police. We took on false identities, even my mom, nicknamed as Ms Raymond.

It made me feel sick. Tricking others for our own benefits. Pretty much why my mom was able to tap into my principals bank account without getting spotted out. It was so flawless, no one suspected a thing.

I couldn't live this kind of life now. Not with Amanda knowing what my family did. I wanted this to be kept locked away, no one finding out my secret.

Amanda! My mind snapped back to her. Where was she? Was she safe?

"It is too late now, The job has already been completed. Months ago, in fact." My dad said in a clipped voice.

What? My mouth dropped open. So all this worrying was for nothing?

"We had hired two professionals, Dominic and Grace, to do the job, disguised as her friends." It confirmed my suspicions. That was probably what happened that day when I went to her house. How was I only realizing this now?

"You were distracted. By a girl." My mom couldn't keep the incredulous tone from her voice. She didn't believe in love, but then again none of my family members did.

"In all things, a girl?" She said harshly, her voice echoing across the small room.

"You made no mistakes before. I don't know why you have became so weak like that." my dad sneered.

I wasn't weak. You all are the weak ones. Resorting to such immoral behavior, it is atrocious. I wanted to say it, but my mouth couldn't cooperate.

"Today was the last straw. Therefore, from this moment onwards, we have no need for you now, for you have disappointed us greatly." My mom concluded in a cold voice.

"You should have been more like your brother, Damien. Much more obedient." My mother clicked her tongue, and shook her head mock sympathetically.

But I know, underneath, her heart is cold and hard as steel. Ruthless.

"You are no longer fit to be our son. Goodbye." On a final note, without my reply, they turned and left in a flourish.

I was still speechless. My hands balled up in fists. I knew they didn't love me, but I didn't expect them to disown me like that. I had to resist the urge to barge right up to them and give them a slap in the face.

I was still financially reliant on them, especially my education. Which included private drilling sessions at home that cost a bomb. That was the reason I could do well in school, and keep my image as a bad boy at the same time. It was so that girls will be able to hand over their money to me, without a single moment of hesitation.

Yes, my whole life was planned. Damien was already seen as the more capable one, which was why I hated him irrationally. Every single time my parents decide to make an entrance, Damien will always be glorified. What was it with them and their unfairness?

In the back of my mind, a voice echoed my thoughts. But it is true, you cannot deny it, Damien has made no mistakes so far. Every single mission was successful.

"Quite a shock isn't it?" Damien finally spoke.

"F*** you. You have known it all along, yet refused to tell me." I accused him, my anger burning up again.

"My dear brother, calm down. Don't you want to know what happened to Amanda?" Damien said lazily.

"Did you hurt her?" I snapped sharply.

"I'm wounded," Damien said, clutching his heart dramatically. "In fact, I saved her life."

"She was getting drugged again, by Grace. I happened to put a few suppressant drugs in her drink at the party before that." He rolled his eyes.

"Without that, she would have been taken hostage or tortured for money, or worse. You're welcome, Vincent."

"It's Vince. No longer Vincent." I said sharply.

"Whatever, Vincent. You really shouldn't hate me so much." He said playfully.

"You can go ahead and live your life as it is, while I live as a hobo. Thanks a lot." I said sarcastically.

"Don't worry, I have transferred some cash into your account such that you can still survive. For now."

From experience, I knew there was a but-

"But you have to introduce me to your friend Emma." He smirked.

"Why would you have any business with her?" I said suspiciously.

"Never you mind. Just do it."

The doctor entered the room again, looking a lot more relieved. "He can leave in a few hours. Just some more procedures."

I couldn't wait to be home. Still couldn't believe I was officially free from all this burden and worry on my shoulders, and finally be who I want to be.

But I knew I had to give an explanation to Amanda regarding the events. She might never trust me again, was it worth the risk?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New update! Hope you liked it so far, I definitely enjoyed writing it.

Although it is coming to an end, there are better things in store. ;)

Do check out my other book Shoot Shag Marry, just updated a chapter :) Peace, vote and comment. -Solaire