Chapter Forty-Two- The Last Night

Vince's POV

Back then, I figured out that I had to do something for Amanda. Before it was too late and we had to part our separate ways, or what Amanda might think at least.

I'd been rather vague about telling her our plans for university because I myself was undecided. But as I took this afternoon to ponder on this matter, I was only a little aware that the rest of my schoolmates were at school, eagerly awaiting the final year results.

What should I give up :furthering my studies at Harvard or spending time with Amanda? I knew that this question was a tough one to answer, so I decided to consult my brother Damien, after much consideration.

He was currently studying at Harvard as a first year student, so he was needed to provide some insight into the life there to help me in my decision.

While I was sitting at Amanda's desk, I took out my cell phone and dialed the number that I had never dialed for a few years now.

He picked up on the second ring, no surprise there. "Hello, Vincent. What do you need?" He said coolly, his voice faintly mocking.

"I need to talk to you. " I said firmly, hoping he'll get the message and hurry down here.

There was a long pause. "I'm not free right now. Some people need to work, you know."

"How about later? I'll go down to the place you work at if it's more convenient." I said, praying that he doesn't hang up on me.

Another long pause. "Catch you at 3. I'll be by the counter."

He hung up.

I checked my watch. I had close to two hours to go.

Just enough time for me to get Amanda a graduation present.

Changing quickly into a pair of jeans and a tight black tee shirt, I went out. I spurred Daisy, my motorbike to life and headed for the stores in a flash.

I got to a nice shopping district just around the corner and parked Daisy near the sidewalk. Walking into a fancy gift shop, I was greeted by a young salesperson who's nametag read Tim. "Feel free to take a look." He said, not glancing up from his phone.

I took a brief glance at the items in the gift shop. Nothing special caught my eye in particular and judging by their prices, they were way out of my budget. I was quite disappointed as a result, walking out of the shop, empty handed.

The store adjacent to this one was a smaller, less conspicuous one. A saleslady was standing near the cash register, attending to one of the customers of the store. I walked closer and realized that she was around my age, although I've never seen her in town. She seemed deep in conversation with the salesperson.

Shrugging it off, I glanced around the store. The store mainly sold jewelry such as bracelets and earrings. A few antique items

A particular necklace caught my eye. It was made up of two golden chains joined together such that it forms a structure like a snake. It reminded me of my previous gang, which used the snake as a representation of itself.

"How may I help you?" The salesperson, a woman in her forties, smiled at me kindly.

"How much is this, please?" I said politely. Yes, I could be polite when need be.

"It's fifty dollars, young man. Quite a pretty piece, isn't it?"

"Yes, I'm giving it to someone as a gift. But I'm sorry, the necklace is too expensive for me to afford." I said, shaking my head but silently hoping she'll give me a discount.