Chapter Six- Blessings (EDITED)

Amanda

Before I knew what I was doing, I was marching towards the tall and daunting figure dressed in all black, my mind full of question marks.

He looked surprised to see me, but I was even more surprised and disheartened to see his bloodshot eyes and a bruised chin. Blood was even oozing from his lip. What happened to him?

All these were still processing in my mind and the fact that Vince Ryker just had a fight in the school. And with who? As much as I was scared to be involved, my curiosity got the better of me. Who was that person he was fighting with? I just had to find out, even if it killed me.

My mind was still spinning when he walked towards me slowly. Was he involved in a gang? I saw his tattoo just now and it looked like a gang sign. I made a mental note to check up on that later.

Oh no. What was he going to do? He was now right in front of me with an unreadable expression and I was afraid that he was going to be violent or anything.

Unexpectedly, he put his arms around me in a bone-crushing hug. I was taken aback, but I returned the hug gently by putting my arms around his waist. Our bodies were so close together that he was sure to hear my pounding heart.

As fast as he hugged me, our hug was over. Vince was standing in front of me, an amused smirk on his face. His dirty blond hair was falling into his eyes, and I resisted the urge to brush it away. I could avert my eyes before he could notice the blush creeping into my cheeks.

There was a measurable amount of silence before Vince spoke.

'You can close your mouth now,' Vince said, rolling his eyes. Oh no. I didn't notice that I was still gaping.

"That was...unexpected," I said finally, in a normal voice.

"The fighting or the hug?" Vince smirked, returning to his self-assured self.

'For your information, fighting is against the rules, dumbass. You might get expelled.' I replied, crossing my arms.

"Avoiding the question, kitten?" He said huskily and waggled his eyebrows.

"No." I said, but I couldn't help a smile from creeping into my face.

'If you want to know, my dad is rich enough.' Vince said, shrugging nonchalently.

Before I could reply, a loud voice interrupted.

'There you are!' Layla's voice called out.

I turned around, and saw Layla, relief washing over her face.

'I was wondering where you went. You are sure hard to keep up with.' She panted.

I felt kind of guilty for making a disappearing act on my friends. Geez, what a good friend I am.

Layla waggled her eyebrows at me. I looked at her in confusion.

Rolling her eyes, she turned to Vince.

'I have to kidnap her for a while, if you don't mind.' Layla said jokingly to Vince.

She was one of the only girls that was not affected by Vince's charm. Somehow, I envied her. Before Vince could reply, she dragged me towards the back of the cafeteria.

'We need to talk.' Layla said, sweeping her auburn hair to the side. She was pretty, with sharp features. She was more towards the curvy side, unlike me, who was skinny with no curves. She had cool blue eyes, unlike me who had hazel eyes.

'About?' I asked in confusion.

'Vincent friggin Ryder!' Layla hissed at me in exasperation.

Oh. Realization dawned on me.

'He was fighting with someone a moment ago and I saw. I was just curious."

'Don't be coy, Am. You know better than to be so close to him. He's bad news. You should know better. I don't want you to get hurt. Just be careful, okay?' Layla said quietly with concern.

'It's fine, thanks. I can handle him.' I said, but I was not confident. Perhaps what Lay said was correct. I should find out more about Vince.

'Don't be too sure.' Layla said darkly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

The classes went by in a blur. I didn't see Ryder in any of the lessons. He should be in Chemistry and Calculus but he was nowhere to be found. I told myself not to care. Not my problem, anyways, Mr Tutor.

Finally, it was my last lesson, History. I was already feeling rather sleepy. Putting my head on table, I closed my eyes. It jostled me when a someone sat in the seat beside me. I looked up. Jerry was stting beside me once again.

'Didn't catch enough sleep?' Jerry asked sympathetically. He was twidling a pencil idly in his hand.

'Not really, just bored from all the lessons.' I said, stifling a yawn while putting my head down on my shoulder.

'I see, if you need a tutor, I'm here to help.' He smiled, then winked.

'Thanks, but I kind of have one already. Vince Ryker.' I said casually, not wanting to offend him.

'Oh, I see.' An unreadable expression crossed his face for an instant. As quickly as it came, it was gone. What was that about? I made a mental note not to mention Vince to Jerry.

The teacher, Ms Raymond, walked into the room at this instant.

As the teacher continued teaching, my mind drifted off again. What was the fight about? Determined to search for answers, I made a plan.

After the lesson, many students had already left but Jerry was still there. Alex was waiting for me at the door. Deja vu.

'Hey,' Jerry said, and cleared his throat. Today, his brunette hair was swept to the side and he was wearing a light cotton-linen shirt that matched his eyes. He looked nervous for some reason. 

'I was wondering if you would like to go to homecoming with me.' Jerry said with a smile, our earlier discussion about the tutor and Vince forgotten.

What? Did I hear correctly? My heart was fluttering. Nobody asked me out before, and definitely not to homecoming. I was literally hyperventilating.

My mind was spinning. Jerry was a nice guy. He has been amazing to me so far, not like... I don't want to think about him right now, damn it. Pushing Vince out of my mind, I tried hard to organize my thoughts.

After a few long moments, Jerry was still looking at me. His green eyes were piercing into mine.

Oops, he was looking for an answer.

'Okay, sure.' I said, my voice wavering, trying to keep my composure. Deep breaths, I told myself. I gave him what I hoped would be a reassuring smile.

Jerry smiled a heartwarming smile back. 'Text me your address, I'll pick you up on that day.' He said, and winked.

'Sure.' I stuttered. I was screaming with joy inside. I could not wait to tell Alex and Layla.

Jerry left then, leaving me giddy and breathless. I was going to homecoming with a date!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New update! Hope you guys enjoyed the story so far! Team Vince or Team Jerry? Vote or comment and I might dedicate the chapter to you ;) Thanks for all the votes and comments! Target: 350 views and 30 votes -Solaire