Chapter Forty-Six- Making Deals With The Devil

Vince

I stood there, hands clenched into fists. It took everything I had not to punch him straight in the face. I would have, if Amanda hasn't been standing merely a few feet away from me. I was only partially angry because he was trying to take Amanda away from me deliberately. The worse and more daunting reason was because I was too tired of him using her innocence to manipulate her, as how a serpent regards its prey. 

As the soles of my sneakers squeaked against the sparkling clean hospital floor, I contemplated my next move. 

"Hi there. I don't suppose I've met you before." The old man smiled innocently at me, frowning a little as he scrutinised my image.

I sucked in a deep breath. He must definitely be lying. He, as the gang leader, should know me for sure. He definitely has a record of all the members of his rival gang. 

I tried to conceal my shock and smiled warily at him. "Why of course, I'm your daughter's boyfriend." I said, putting an arm around Amanda's shoulder and squeezing gently. Let's see if he plays along. 

"Of course, of course. Have a sit please. I have something to ask of you." He gestured to a chair nearby with his good hand. 

I did as I was told, sitting down and paying attention to him. He seemed cautious, eyes darting from me to Amanda as if sizing us up. 

"I have a preposition for you." As he spoke, he took out a piece of paper from the desk and a pen. He began to scribble something on it. 

"It seems to me that both of us treasure Amanda a lot. So, instead of having for her to choose between us, let me offer you something. Why not you come and stay with us? We have plenty of room at our new house and I'm sure you won't mind." 

It was difficult to conceal my shock at the news. Never would I have expected that any member of my rival gang, or rather my ex rival gang would offer me a place at their house. This sounded a little too good to be true. 

"How much would I have to pay to stay?" I asked curtly, still a little in disbelief. I shifted uncomfortably, under the knowledge that he was watching my every move.

"All expenses will be covered for. You won't have to pay a single cent. Just take care of my daughter will do." The old man smiled encouragingly. Perhaps a little too encouragingly.

I sighed. How would refuse such a great deal? Besides, it wasn't as if my house was in great shape. I was the only occupant since Damian had left to pursue his studies. And my father and mother had disowned me, kicking me out of the family. 

"Please don't accept the deal, Vince." Amanda, who was standing beside me, suddenly whispered to me. Her face had turned rather pale.

"But I want to protect you, Amanda." I admitted, pulling her closer to me and taking her into my arms.

"It's really not good for you to get tied down to my family like this. It's dangerous, Vince. Do you understand?" She hissed at me. 

"Yes I do. But it's the only way." I was now feeling extremely conflicted. It was Amanda that I loved, but not her family especially how they treated her before. But it was because of what she went through, I grew even more determined to protect her from harm. 

"Alright, I accept the deal." I said firmly. 

"No!" Amanda protested. "You don't know what you're getting yourself into. Vince." She called out, her voice breaking a little. I looked at her, and saw that she was holding back tears.

Immediately, I embraced her and she started sobbing into my shirt. All the while, I murmured "it's alright, everything will be fine" to her. It was also heartbreaking to me, seeing her feel so desolate and upset. I've never seen her in such a deplorable state before, but I tried not to let her sway my decision.

But I knew that I've made a commitment to her, and I will fulfil it to the end, even if it meant that I had to leave my whole life behind and start again from scratch. It's the least I could do to protect her.

"Look at me, Amanda. I love you." I said, my eyes serious. Slowly but surely, I put my lips over hers. It was these familiar lips that I will never want to forget. Our kiss was much more passionate than before, and I wrapped my arms around her waist. I never wanted this moment to end.

After we pulled away, I cleared my throat and said "Let me see the papers."

"Thought you would say so. Come, sign above this line please." He handed me the piece of paper, smiling. His eyes remained unreadable as he smiled at me, crinkling slightly at the edges. He took no notice of Amanda at all.

I knew there wasn't much of a choice. How could I leave Amanda behind like this? I knew that I had genuinely fallen for Amanda along the way, but this was the real test of my love for her. Could I really be on the same side as someone that I was taught to loathe and detest my whole life? 

Well, definitely not. But I could definitely pretend to be. Play along, a voice in my head urged me. For Amanda's sake.

Though I seemed restless on the outside, I had already decided.

Hastily, I scribbled my name on the piece of paper. Simple as it was, it was symbolic. This signified a change from my past bad boy self. I knew that I could only do this with Amanda. Never had I expected that I could change my ways so much, from being a bad boy who tutored for the fun of it, I was now committed to be the better half in the relationship. 

This was the beginning of a whole new experience for me. My life with Amanda was only starting. This concluded yet another chapter of my life, but I know my adventures with Amanda and her family will be unforgettable. 

---

Thanks for reading all the way till here! I apologise for not updating in soooo long. :((( But now, I've decided to end this book here. I'm so grateful to you, dear reader. Without you, this book would not have been possible. Should I write a sequel? Or another book entirely? Let me know in the comments below :) cheers, Solaire