Chapter Twenty-Six- I Write Sins Not Tragedies

Amanda

What? Why was Emma here? My mind was boggling with questions. Was she here for round two, or was the truth not clearly enough spoken?

She turned to me, her eyes burning with rage and intensity. Also a little hurt in her eyes.

My mind froze, as if not wanting to respond. No, she won't ruin my night again. Somehow, I knew that this won't be the last time this would happen.

"Back off from Vince before you get it from me." She threatened, glaring at me. She took a few steps towards me, but it didn't scare or intimidate me, as it did if she were to do that a few months ago.

How dare she. I was just about to begin my second round of assault. What was her problem?

When Vince put an arm around my waist, reassuring me that he was there. "I suggest you back off instead." He said, composed and cool as ice.
The corridor was eerily deserted, not a soul near our presence, as far as I could tell. That was good. No one should see this happening.

Everyone was still preoccupied with the dance to notice much going on.
"Vince, don't tell me you are listening to her bullshit." Emma whined in a high pitched and squeaky voice, making me roll my eyes at her.

"Back off now, or I'll call the authorities." Vince said quietly, but there was a deadly undertone in his voice.

Emma's face flashed with hurt for an instant, so quick it lasted for less than a second, before her face went back to her usual taunting demeanor.

"Listen to Vince or else." I snapped at her, not giving any mercy, because honestly, she deserved none. She ruined my life ever since I stepped into this school and now it was time to take revenge.

"But I thought..." Emma whispered, staring at Vince, as though the answers were written on his face. I didn't really understand about their past but I know it wasn't love that kept them together.

The silence stretched on for a few moments, no one saying anything. At the corner of my eye, I saw Vince looking impassive as ever, but calm and collected.

"You said you loved me." She continued quietly, seeing that we had made no move to interfere or break the silence.

"I loved the money, Emma, not you." Vince said calmly, patiently.
"So please get out of my life and never see you again." He continued with an air of finality.

"And do not send any more threatening messages to Amanda. She has done nothing wrong. If you have to be angry you should be angry with me." Vince said, a hint of irritation in his voice.

So it was her who sent all the messages. Because of all my preoccupied mind, I haven't even managed to confirm that it was her.

But Vince bothered to spend the time to figure out and prove that it was her that disturbed and harassed me with all the strange messages. I felt a surge of gratitude towards him.

Emma's lip quivered. I had a strange feeling that she was about to cry. "I'd thought we were more than that, Vince. That was why I sent those messages.''

''I'd wanted you to see that you were better off with me, where I was able to understand your past more. Never had I known that it would cause the opposite effect." She admitted.

"The phone calls as well?" I asked, feeling like I was a third party in all these problems. Someone who was ignorant and wasn't aware of changes.

"Yes, and I'd also asked Alex and Layla to check up on you for me. With a little money, of course."
Layla said quietly, not looking at either of us in the eye.

I could tell that it was difficult admitting all these things that she did, and somehow I understood her pain. And it also helped me piece unanswered questions and loose pieces of my life together, making it complete.

That was why Layla and Alex didn't seem to remember what happened that day. It was to help Emma, obviously enough.

A surge of disappointment ran through me, that they would do such things behind my back. But who were they to know what was the real story?

Vince tightened his arms around me. It was difficult on his part as well, trying to figure out the mystery. It seemed as though he had already known these problems, yet was subtle and didn't want to push these matters too far.

"I'd hate to admit this but..." Emma said, her voice trailing off and she took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry for causing you pain and problems in your love with Vince. Somehow at the start I'd already known that we were not meant to be, since the start of our affair that was mainly based on money and material things. They never last, and now I'd learnt it the hard way."

Emma said, giving me a sad smile.
"And somehow, because of your pure relationship with Vince, I was jealous and wanted to break up both of you. I'm deeply regretful now and I hope you forgive me." Emma continued.

"Even if you won't, I will not interfere in your life ever again." She said honestly, and I could tell that her apology was genuine.

"I will let this pass but we will never speak of this again." I said firmly, but gentler than before.

"Thank you for forgiving me for my immature behavior." Emma said in a sheepish manner.

"Vince, although I know that I will never see you again, it has been a wonderful time knowing you that I will never regret." She said fondly.

"To you as well, Emma. I'd learnt to pursue my own happiness and you should too." Vince replied kindly, in a reassuring way.

There was so many words left to say, but I'd decided to leave them unsaid. They were stronger and more meaningful that way.

"Aren't you curious about Jerry?" Emma said, suddenly, jolting us back to reality.

"He was always my watchdog right from the start, constantly on the lookout for you both." Emma admitted, leaving the rest of the story for us to imagine.

That explains why he asked me out to homecoming, just so Emma and Vince could go together. It was bittersweet, as it marks the end of their relationship... and maybe the start of a new one.

With a pang, I realized that Vince was the only one that didn't help Emma in one way or another. The irony that they were ex-lovers was not lost on me.

It gave me the confidence that I was able to trust Vince on every step of the way to make the wisest and fairest decision, and not who he was screwing at that time.

"I wish nothing but the best for you." Emma smiled sadly, and gave me a brief hug.

She hugged Vince too, and my mind was overwhelmed with emotions. Why was it that the moment I find out that she isn't as bad as she seems, she leaves?

Somehow, I have a feeling that this would not be the end, yet a fresh start for all of us.

We watched as Emma walked in her spiked heel boots back to the gym, leaving us with a flurry of emotions. This was by far the most dramatic event in my life, something that I will play back to remind me how far I have come.

Now, Vince and I, we were left alone, again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New update. Really proud of this one! Ending this book in a few more chapters so stay tuned. Writing the sequel shortly after ;) Thanks for reading. Do vote and comment, new update will be really soon.