Chapter Thirty-Three- Close Shave

Unknown POV

I watched as Amanda walked back home, her eyes red and tired. I smiled, and texted, plan succeeded and pressed send.

At the other end of the line, Layla picked up and gave a smile that mirrored mine.

Things had to be done. Jerry could not afford to lose again. The price incurred would be too high to bear.

Amanda's POV

Maybe it was twenty minutes, but I felt like I was walking for ages. Please, can a car pick me up right now, I pleaded internally. I was so tired and thirsty, my legs hardly able to withstand my weight.

Walking for a couple of blocks more, not a car was in sight.

Suddenly, as if my wish was being answered, a red car pulled up beside the road. I looked ahead, not wanting to seem as if I was interested in taking the car, in case it was a kidnapper.

However, it beeped at me. Taken aback, I squinted though the windows to try and decipher who it was, and realised that a figure in black was driving it.

'Come on, get in.' A familiar voice called out. Layla! I sighed, relieved and thankful.

Since when did she own a red car? I didn't remember. Perhaps it was a gift from her mom-

These thoughts flew through my head as I climbed into the car. "Lets go back to my house?" Layla suggested in a chirpy voice. I nodded eagerly.

"You can have this." Layla reached into the side pocket of the car and handed me a bottle of sparkling water.

"Geez thanks." I gulped down the water without a second thought, letting the water flow down my throat soothingly.

"How did you know where to pick me up?" I asked casually.

Layla thought for a minute, then replied hastily. "Alex was concerned about you and told me to come get you."

I nodded vaguely, not really listening to her explanation.

She drove for a while, and the surroundings seemed unfamiliar, as though we have come to another part of town. The surroundings were also very dark.

"Aren't we going back to your place?" I asked Layla in surprise, trying to keep my voice even and controlled despite the situation.  

"The place that we are going to is my place." Layla snapped, taking me by surprise. This was very strange on so many levels. She didn't usually snap at anyone.

Somehow, I felt that something was wrong. Something twisted painfully in my gut. Surveying my surroundings, the darkness seemed to be creeping in on me, getting closer and closer...

As if on cue, my stomach grumbled loudly.

"Can we eat something first? I'm famished." I said, trying to fill the tension that was building up, slowly but surely, in the car.

"No, we will eat when we get there."

What time was it already? We seemed to be driving for hours, and a small part of me regretted taking the car. My head began to come up with a rational explanation, but there was none.

Finally, Layla stopped the car at a grey building. It looked abandoned, from what I could tell, in the unnaturally dark  setting. 

Layla won't do this, would she? But the warning signs were flashing through my head.

Suddenly, my stomach convulsed and clutching my stomach, I doubled over. My throat suddenly made weird, guttural noises. After a few moments, I slumped over my seat, unconscious.

Layla didn't appear to have helped me or showed any concern. That was good, it was the plan.

"...Finally kicked in..." Layla said, presumably into her cellphone.

My heart was pounding. Crossing my fingers, I'd hoped that my many years of drama class finally paid off.

There was silence. My eyes were itching to open to see what was going on but I couldn't risk getting found out. I tried not to flinch when a cold metal object was pressed onto my forehead.

"If I find out that you're faking it, you're dead." Layla said in a deadly cold voice.

My body was still as a statue, not daring to move an inch. I tried to keep my erratic breathing to a minimum, taking long deep breaths.

I knew she would not have the courage to do it, but still the fear was palpable.

I couldn't tell if she had bought my act but there was no sign of violence so I assumed that she had.

Suddenly, she swung her palm against my face in a blow that stung hard against my cheek. I tried not to let the pain show on my face, keeping it still as ever.

However, I was this close from knocking her face up, but she was the one with the weapon and possibly backup.

Finally, I heard the swing of the car door and Layla getting out of the car, hearing a male voice calling out in the distance. Sounded familiar.

My chance. I knew she won't be long before she came back. Waiting for a couple of moments, I opened my eyes slowly.

Navigating over to the driver's seat, I did a quick check to see that no one was around. Putting the car into reverse, I stepped onto the gas and the engine came to life.

This was easier than expected, I thought to myself. However, to my horror, I'm the back view mirror,  someone was watching me.

It was Vince's brother, Damien, recognizing him. That was probably who that was speaking to Layla just now, or whoever she is. I couldn't be completely sure.

He smirked, but made no move to stop me. Internally, I sighed in relief, but time was critical now.

I drove off as fast as I could, not actually caring where I was going. My heart race rapidly.

This was almost like a dream. My dream, a couple of months ago. The kidnapping, but this time it was Layla and her accomplices.

But it didn't feel like Layla at all. It has to be an impersonator. But the impersonator was good, and had very accurate insight into my life.

It made me recall the time when Layla and Alex were in my house, but they had no recollection of the event the next day.

I tried to think about the connection between the events. What had led to these people being involved?

Suddenly it all fell into place. Vince Ryker. And who was the most concerned? Emma Hollands.

My mind raced, and thanked whoever saved me from the drug. And I was determined to find out who it was. How did the person know? And why did the person help me?

It was a close shave. God knows what could have happened..... my hand shook on the steering wheel.

Slowly, I came back to the district that I was more familiar with, miraculously I must say.

With my speedy driving, I was home in a matter of minutes. Oh my, how could I explain what had happened to my family?

At the back of my mind, I had another concern. Something more urgent than my current situation. Was Vince okay? But I knew there won't be an answer, not so soon anyway.

—------—--------—-------------—---—-----—---------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! Vote or comment if you had liked it: ) trying to explain a few things here, hope it cleared your doubts a little! Till next time. -Solaire.