Chapter Thirty-Five- Reunions

Amanda's POV

Pulling the red car into the driveway, my hands still shook badly. God knows what could have happened. The dream, and now almost happening in reality, definitely gave me a rude shock. What if the drug kicked in? Would I still be standing here alive now?

Getting out of the car, I shook suddenly, realizing the cold outside. The lights of the house were switched on, and there were police cars parked along the road. What was going on? It could be a fire! Alarm spread through my body again.

I pushed open the door, and the first thing I heard was "Missing for more than twenty-four hours."I heard Liz say to the police officer, who was busy taking down notes.  There were at least three other people whom I did not recognize, staring at their conversation. They hadn't noticed me yet, in all their anxiety.

"Who, Liz?" I said. All eyes turned towards me. The police officers looked confused, their mouths hanging open in shock.

"Oh she is back! Finally!" Liz stared at me in astonishment, before taking me into her arms for a hug, which was very unlike herself. She didn't realise I didn't call her mom. Well technically she wasn't, she was a stepmother, as my mother passed away when I was little.

 "Thanks officers, we do not need your help anymore."  Liz said hastily, while giving me a death stare. Uh oh. I knew what was coming.

"Amanda." This time, it wasn't a voice I was familiar with. I froze in my tracks.

I had completely forgot he was in the house. Without me. Suddenly I felt stupid for following Vince around just to avoid meeting him. The past was in the past now, wasn't it?

I froze instantly. How was he? Ever since he was sent to prison four years ago, I haven't seen him since. I was sure I didn't want to meet him. My palms felt sweaty.

"Look at me." He said gruffly. I turned my head slowly, my heart hammering like crazy. He looked, well, normal, I noted with relief.

Did he change while he was in prison? Did he become more psychotic than before? Was he okay now? So many questions building up, but it wasn't the right time to ask such questions.

"So glad you're back safe and sound." He said finally, hiding some sort of emotion behind his words that I could not seem to comprehend.

I had a feeling it meant more than my disappearance, not sure why. Quite a bit of silence passed as Liz hummed casually, trying not to listen in on our conversation but conveniently failing.

"Me too." I said awkwardly, the tension building up in the air around us.

"Come eat some supper. You look famished." Liz said, and directed me to the kitchen while they exchanged glances.

Grateful for the distraction, I headed to the kitchen quickly, not wanting to confront any of them. What should I say about my disappearance? They would want an explanation some time later, giving me some time to clear my thoughts first.

Well, I couldn't exactly say that my best friend kidnapped me out of nowhere. While I picked at my potatoes and mushrooms, my mind speculated. I'll just think of a plausible explanation somehow.

Finally, I was done with my meal. The most sensible thing to do would be to avoid them first, unless they were to approach me.

"I'm tired, going to go to bed now." I announced to my parents, making my footsteps measured and slow.

"Don't forget to brush your teeth." Liz called.

Grabbing my toothbrush, I headed to the bathroom. I squeezed some toothpaste on it and brushed my teeth quickly.