Chapter Thirty-Eight- Make Or Break

Amanda

"So that was what was up with Alex and Layla." I said, confirming my suspicions.

"Yes, they were planning a move yesterday, but Damien managed to intervene." Vince continued.

"Now let's hear your side of the story." Vince suggested.

"Do you trust me?" I whispered, biting my lip.

"Of course. " Vince said sincerely.

My heart pounded wildly. I have... A secret. It will be the first time that I will reveal such an information.

Would he judge me?

Would he not love me anymore after he knows this?

Would... Would he leave?

I had already proven my sincerity towards him by not leaving even when I knew the truth. Would he do it for me too? This would be his chance to prove himself to me.

My eyes welled up in tears. How could I explain what had happened? I had no words, utterly speechless as I stared at the floor.

"Kitten, what is it? " Vince said softly, reassuring me.

"It's nothing." my voice cracked at the end, and a lonely tear tricked down my cheek.

He couldn't possibly understand my struggle and pain. That was clear.

He put an arm around my shoulders and rubbed reassuring circles on my lower back.

"Don't have to tell me if you don't want to." He said, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I want to, but I can't. " I whispered into his skin.

He continued to embrace me, wrapping me into his arms. My heartbeat slowed, achieving a stable rhythm.

"Next week is our finals, don't you forget." Vince reminded me, giving me a small kiss on the forehead.

It was finally the examinations. It was quite a lot at stake here, having want to go to Dartmouth. I had put in quite a bit of effort in my grades and it has been a relief that my grades have been getting better over the few months of tuition with Vince.

"We can talk about it afterwards. Don't need to stress out. " Vince continued to reassure me.

I nodded. It was for the best. I had to concentrate on my studies first before worrying about these issues.

With this, I wiped my tears against my sleeve, not caring about my appearance.

However, I knew that the cat would soon be let out from the bag. There was nothing that I could hide forever.

"I'll tell you about it after the exam, I promise." I said finally, making a vow to himself and me.

Vince stared into my eyes, his confusion and anxiety, although subtle, really touched me.

I knew I could trust him, but I needed some time to calm myself down first.

Besides, it was finally autumn. My favorite season. The leaves were all falling, and I liked it how they all fell in waves and breezes, carried by the wind in flecks of honey and oat.

However, this autumn will be special, I had a strong intuition about that.

With a pang, I realised that our tuition had to come to an end because I would no longer need tuition after my examinations.

Vince would also be taking the examinations at the same time as me. Hopefully we could both make it to the same university.

"I won't hold you up further. Do have a good night's rest and I'll pick you up tomorrow." Vince said, giving me a final kiss on the lips.

"Good night." I said and bid farewell to him.

I went back to my house, and was pleasantly surprised to see that my absence from the house had gone unnoticed.

Quickly changing out of my clothes, I went to bed, already half asleep.

***

The next day was bright and sunny. I'd woken up half an hour earlier, and put on my favourite white blouse with some black jeans. I grabbed my grey jacket on the way out.

"Have fun at school and learn something awesome." Liz called out after I had finished eating my breakfast.

"Yes mom." I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Ever since she had decided to use language that she deemed as 'in', it had been somewhat amusing.

"Break a leg baby." Liz called as I shut the door behind me. Hopefully she didn't mean that literally.

I pulled on my white converse just in time to hear a beep sound from the driveway.

Of course, Vince was already there. I climbed into his silver car, and saw him grinning at me.

"Interesting choice of shirt." He remarked, his eyes twinkling.

Ugh, I was wearing the same blouse that I had worn when it was raining some time back.

"Yeah, and I could also reanact the same situation where someone was kicked where the sun doesn't shine. And he also seemed pretty beat, from what I could remember." I said, smirking.

"Oh don't you dare." Vince widened his eyes.

I burst out laughing, while Vince stared at me suspiciously before cracking a reluctant smile.

It won't be wise to bring up the issue from yesterday. I decided, and I should just learn to relax myself beforehand.

"Don't get any ideas." He warned after I had calmed down.

"Then don't be a twat." I retorted.

"I could be more than a twat if you want, kitten." Vince winked at me.

He's still the same jeep as before. Jerk actually but jeep will do.

I bent over and kissed him on the lips lightly, surprising him.

"Get driving or else we will be late."

"Yes kitten. You're bossy kitten. I like that kitten." Vince smirked.

"Ha ha." I said in a monotonous tone.

"You're cheerful this morning. " Vince commented.

My cellphone started to ring. "Hello?" I answered it on the first ring.

"Amanda! Where are you? Have you forgotten about your friends while with your lovey dovey Vince?" Layla screeched into the phone.

"Uh, no." I said calmly. Vince's hand was still on my knee and squeezing gently.

"Is he with you now?" Layla screeched in an exasperated tone. I could hear Vince chuckle.

"Yes." I said, glancing nervously at him.

"I'll call you back." I said hurriedly before hanging up.

That was definitely the right Layla. She was back, no doubt. And I wouldn't think she would have any recollection of what had happened yesterday because it wasn't her.

"That was one dramatic conversation."

I nodded, feeling slightly embarrassed.

"Funny how Matt could stand her." Vince finished, shaking his head.

"But Layla and Matt are not together, are they?" I asked, incredulous. I was her best friend, how could she not tell me?

"Yes they are." Vince said, amused.

I couldn't believe it. Because of all the drama, I had missed out a lot of information. Got to find about about it later.

"You, of all people, know better than me." I managed to say, dismayed.

"Of course, Matt is my best friend, and we don't spend time talking about shoes and stuff." Vince reminded me.

"Whatever. Keep your eyes on the road. We don't want to get into a car accident."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote and comment if you had liked it! Every vote means a lot to me and thanks for supporting this book. Love, Solaire