Chapter Twenty-Two- Dresses and Opportunities

Layla and I walked into a small vintage shop. We had been looking for dresses for about three hours now, but the dresses that I tried on just did not seem to fit right.

The vintage shop was decorated with pink and violet rises and immediately it gave off a homely vibe.

As we entered the dimly lit shop, the bells tinkered.

The shop assistant greeted us warmly as we stepped into the shop.

She was a middle-aged woman who smiled at us with kindly eyes.

"Anything you're looking for?" She asked. I was close enough to notice that the tag on her shirt read 'Elizabeth'.

"Well, I'm actually looking for a homecoming dress for tomorrow. Can you help us?" I said sheepishly.

"Yes, of course."

As she was looking for dresses that suit my size, I briefly recalled the incident that day.

I definitely was overreacting. It wasn't even my right to say who he could be with.

If he wanted to be with her, then it was his choice and I couldn't stop him.

I decided that I was going to apologize to him tomorrow.

We could have a purely tutor and student relationship. That was what it was supposed to be, wasn't it? Nothing personal.

But I couldn't help but wish that we had more. I was improving progressively in terms of my grades but honestly it wasn't my best.

Because I knew that if I had done my best and met his expectations, our relationship will be over because I won't need a tutor anymore.

"Earth to Amanda." Layla said waving a finger across my face in a sweeping motion.

"Oh yes. I'm sorry I must have drifted off again." I muttered.

Elizabeth the shop assistant handed me some clothes.

"Alright, I'll try them."

Grabbing the pile of dresses, I hopped into a changing room.

I tried on dress after dress, but they all did not seem to fit me. Either too revealing or too conservative.

"I don't think anything will fit me." I grumbled after taking off an olive green dress.

"We have all night, babe." Layla encouraged.

Finally, there was a breakthrough.

"You look gorgeous in this Amanda!!" Layla squealed.

I was wearing a silver dress that went all the way to the floor. It really made me look flattering, considering I wasn't really gifted in those aspects.

But there was only one small problem. It wasn't what Jerry wanted. It wasn't orange.

"But it isn't orange." I said to Layla.

"Who cares, babe. Once he sees you in this dress, he'll totally understand." Layla said confidently.

"I guess." Shrugging, I flipped to check the price.

Holy shit. It was really expensive. How can I afford this?

"It's too expensive." I said disappointed.

Layla took a peek at the price. She smirked.

"Eliza, we will take this dress."

We walked out of the shop, the garment bag in hand.