The Maze Is Alive

My brothers helped me pack for my first quest

My brothers helped me pack for my first quest. They were rambling on about what dad will say once he comes back to camp. I finished zipping up my bag and sat on the edge of my bed. The twins stopped talking, exchanging a look.

"You okay, Ivy?" Pollux sat beside me.

"I don't know if I'm ready for this quest." I breathed out, looking up at him with wide eyes. "The others all have experience doing this. Annabeth told me she wants me with them because of Dad's knowledge of the maze and Ariadne."

"Well, I mean, she's not wrong." Castor sat on the other side of me. He leaned forward, his forearms on his thighs. "Plus, you're pretty smart, Ives.  She will need the extra help."

"If I couldn't help Chris fight the madness..." I trailed off. "What if something happens in that maze where I need to cure the madness? I couldn't do it for Chris, how can I do it for them?"

"Hey, that was your first attempt even trying to heal madness. Don't beat yourself up." Pollux bumped his shoulder against mine.

"Yeah, I'm sure when the time is right you can do it. You just need practice, is all." Castor added. "We're older than you and we couldn't do it. But, that's also because that was our first few tries as well."

"If Annabeth chose you to be a part of this quest, don't fight fate. There's a reason why you're going." Pollux placed a hand on my shoulder. "Now, get some rest. You leave tomorrow, okay?"

I gave him a slow nod. He smiled and ruffled my hair. I breathed out a laugh, smacking his hand away. Castor stood up with a teasing smirk.

"Have sweet dreams about Percy." He teased and quickly dodged a kick to his leg. My face heated at the mention of the boy. Castor laughed and quickly made his way to his bunk. "Still have a crush on him?"

"Shut up." I grabbed a nearby pillow and threw it at him.

"I think so." Pollux added with a playful grin. Castor dodged the pillow and threw it back at me. With a huff, I caught it. "Dad is going to be pissed."

"Yeah, don't remind me." I grumbled, getting under my covers. "So much for me keeping that promise."

There was a moment of silence as we get into our beds. Castor turned off the lights. The slight hum from the soda fountain machine lingered in the air.

"Why does Dad want you far away from Percy anyways?" Castor questioned.

"I have no idea." I frowned, staring up at underside of the bunk above me. "Something about him being dangerous?"

"Do you think it's about the Great Prophecy? On which side he will choose?" Pollux thought aloud. "The gods are nervous about that."

"But why make her promise to stay away from him?" Castor rebutted.

I stayed quiet and turned to my side. My brothers continued to talk theories and reasons why dad made me promise to stay away from Percy Jackson. It wasn't long until I fell asleep.