Walking Through The Streets Of Rome

If it weren't for the circumstances we were currently in, wandering through Rome would've been cool

If it weren't for the circumstances we were currently in, wandering through Rome would've been cool. Percy and I held hands as we navigated through the city. Annabeth led in the front. I think it was helping her believe she was going there by herself like she was supposed to be.

We aimed for the Colosseum because that was an easy landmark, but getting there proved to be harder than we expected. Several times we got lost on dead-end streets. We found beautiful fountains and huge monuments by accident.

Annabeth commented on the architecture, trying to get her mind off of what was really ahead of her. Percy kept his eyes opened for any signs of attacks. I thought over the prophecy and my dream. The dream felt important to what was going to happen today, especially with the twin giants.

Finally we reached the Colosseum, where dozens of guys in cheap gladiator costumes were scuffling with the police-plastic swords versus batons. I had no idea what that was about, so I ignored it and continued walking. I focused more on keeping an eye out for monsters.

We made our way west, stopping every once in a while for directions to the river. Luckily, I knew enough Italian to communicate with the people in Rome and read the signs. I guess there is something good from growing up with my mom.

By noon, the heat was starting to get to me. I hadn't had anything to drink all day and all the walking around wasn't helping me with my thirst. Percy had pointed out a tourist shop with sodas. We didn't have any euros to buy something to drink.

Annabeth dug around in her backpack, brought out Daedalus's laptop, and typed in a few commands. A plastic card ejected out from the slot in the side. It looked like a credit card.

"International credit card." Annabeth waved it triumphantly.

"How did you-? No. Never mind. I don't want to know. Just keep being awesome." Percy said while I dragged them inside the shop.

"Italian sodas?" I asked them, plucking the card from Annabeth's grasp.

They both nodded. We each grabbed a bottle of Italian soda and paid for them. We continued toward the river. Luckily, the sodas helped quench my thirst. Sadly, it didn't help much with the heat. We were tired by the time we made it to the river.

The Tiber was wide, lazy, and caramel-colored. A few tall cyprus trees hung over the banks. The nearest bridge looked fairly new, made with iron girders, but right next to it stood a crumbling line of stone arches that stopped halfway down the river - ruins that might've been left over from the days of Caesars.

"This is it." Annabeth pointed at the old stone bridge. "I recognize that from the map. But what do we do now?"

"How do we get the attention of a river god with all these people around?" I asked.

"It's about lunchtime." Percy gestured to a nearby cafe with tables overlooking the water. "How about we try that magic credit card again?"

Even though it was noon, the place was empty. We picked a table outside by the river, and a waiter hurried over. He looked surprised to see us- especially when we said we wanted lunch.