The Great Escape From Alcatraz II

When we approached the cell, I wasn't expecting a pale human sized hundred- handed one who wore a loincloth

When we approached the cell, I wasn't expecting a pale human sized hundred- handed one who wore a loincloth. Several of his hands were covering his face as he sobbed. My heart fell at the sight of him. He must have really been troubled and tormented to be like this.

"Either the sky isn't as tall as it used to be or he's short." Percy muttered from beside me.

"Be nice." I nudged his stomached.

"Ow!" Percy narrowed his eyes at me.

"This is, like, your brother's hero!" I scolded. "Watch what you say."

"Okay, okay. Geez." Percy held up his hands in defense.

"Briares!" Tyson fell into his knees. The sobbing had stopped. "Great Hundred-Handed One! Help us!"

"Run while you can, cyclops." Briares looked up in misery. "I cannot even help myself."

"You are a hundred-handed one!" Tyson insisted. "You can do anything!"

The hundred-handed one wiped his nose with a few of his hands. There were other hands fiddling with pieces of metal and wood. He was building and disassembling different things at the same time. Some of his hands were even playing rock, paper, scissors.

"I cannot." Briares moaned. "Kampê is back! The Titans will rise and throw us back into Tartarus."

"Put on your brave face!" Tyson told him.

My heart pinched when I saw how hard Tyson was trying to cheer up his hero. Briares's face changed into a weird brave face that quickly changed back to his sobbing one.

"No good. My scared face keeps coming back." Briares frowned.

"How did you do that?" Percy wondered.

"Don't be rude." Annabeth elbowed him. "The Hundred-Handed Ones have fifty different faces."

"Must make it hard to get a yearbook picture." Percy commented. I was about to elbow him when he quickly took a step away from me. "It just came out. Won't happen again."

"Right." I breathed out, not believing him one bit.

"It will be okay. Briares!" Tyson was still cheerful. "We will help you! Can I have your autograph?"

"Guys." Grover interrupted. "We have to get out of here. Kampê will be back. She'll sense us sooner or later."

"We gotta go." I nodded in agreement.

"Break the bars." Annabeth told Briares.

"Yes! Briares can do it." Tyson smiled proudly at the hundred-handed one. "He is very strong: stronger than cyclops, even! Watch!"

Briares only whimpered. A dozen of his hands started to play patty-cake. A frown grew on my lips once I realized he wasn't going to break the bars.

"If he's so strong, why is he stuck in jail?" Percy questioned.