Seeing Him Again

I paced the deck of the flying warship, the Argo II

I paced the deck of the flying warship, the Argo II. My nerves were a wreck and eating at my stomach. We were almost to the Roman Camp. Almost to Percy. Gods, Percy. I was about to see him again after not seeing him for months.

The warship descended through the clouds. Doubts flooded my mind. What if the Romans didn't get Leo's message? What if they attack us because of the warship? What if Percy didn't recognize me? What if he never got his memories back?

The clouds broke around the hull, revealing the gold and green carpet of the Oakland Hills below them. I gripped one of the bronze shields that lined the starboard rail. My other crew mates took their places.

On the stern quarterdeck, Leo rushed around like a mad man, checking his gauges and wrestling levers. Leo had also installed a keyboard, monitor, aviation controls from a Learjet, a dubstep soundboard, and a motion control sensors from a Nintendo Wii. You know, just like every normal ship.

Piper paced back and forth between the mainmast and the ballistae, practicing her lines.

"Lower your weapons," she murmured, "we just want to talk."

I could see her charmspeak affecting Annabeth, who stood beside me. She shook her head to shake it off. Annabeth had just came back from double checking the white surrender flag. She wanted it to be easily seen for the Romans.

Jason stood at the bow on the raised crossbow platform, where the Romans could easily spot him. His knuckles were white on the hilt of his golden sword. He looked calm for a guy who was making himself a target wearing an orange Camp Half-Blood shirt and a toga with a purple cloak to show his old rank as praetor.

My thoughts wandered back to Percy. How Hera plucked him away from me, wiped his memory, and sent him to the Roman camp. In exchange, the Greeks had gotten Jason. It wasn't either of their faults. They were both victims to Hera's plans. I glanced down and my stomached twisted and butterflies fluttered. He was down there somewhere.

"You okay?" Annabeth asked.

"Nervous." I said, tightening my grip. "You?"

"Same." She nodded, staring below.

"He's down there somewhere." I swallowed nervously.

"He'll remember you." Annabeth said after a while of studying me. She placed a comforting hand on my arm. "You two are soulmates. He can't forget you."

"Right..."

Panic welled up in me. I haven't seen Percy in months. How would our first interaction be? Hugging and kissing or yelling and fighting? Gods, I hope it wasn't the last option.

We pulled closer to the valley. Horns sounded. The Romans had spotted them. A cold shiver ran up and down my neck. I swore I heard faint laughter, but it must have been my nerves and paranoia.