Secret Tunnel

From the port to Acropolis, I didn't see anything of Athens except dark, putrid tunnels

From the port to Acropolis, I didn't see anything of Athens except dark, putrid tunnels. The snake men led us through an iron storm grate to the docks, straight into the underground lair, which smelled of rotting fish, mold and snake skin. Piper kept singing. If she stopped for longer than a minute or two, the snake men started hissing and looking angry.

"I don't like this place." Annabeth murmured. "Reminds me of when I was underneath Rome."

"Our domain is much older." Kekrops hissed with laughter. "Much, much older."

"Well, duh." I uttered, slipping my hand into Percy's.

Ha smiled down at me and brought me closer to his side. Annabeth was next to Piper as we walked through the tunnels, Percy and I in the back. Percy and I drew our swords to give us more light. Piper's voice echoed. As we traveled further into the lair, more snake people gathered to hear her sing. Soon they had a procession following behind us - all of the gemini swaying and slithering.

We passed through crude stone chambers littered with bones. We climbed steep slopes so steep and slippery it was nearly impossible to keep our footing. At one point, we passed a warm cave the size of a gymnasium filled with snake eggs, their tops covered with a silver of filaments like slimy Christmas tinsel.

More and more snake people joined our procession. Their slithering sounded an army of football players shuffling with sandpaper on their feet. A heartbeat had started to play throughout the tunnels. The deeper we went through the tunnels, the louder it grew resonating through the stone and the air. It was as if we were back in Tartarus listening to his heartbeat.

I wake. A woman's voice spoke as clear at Piper's singing.

"Oh, that's not good." Annabeth froze.

"It's like Tartarus." Percy said, his voice on edge. "You remember...his heartbeat. When he appeared-"

"Please don't." I quickly cut him off, giving his hand a squeeze. "Don't."

"Sorry." Percy's face was light by his sword in the darkness as he gave me an apologetic look.

At last. Gaea's voice spoke louder.

Fear washed over me. My mind flashed to the dreams she's been giving me. I had to force myself not to tremble at the sound of her voice. Then I remembered Piper's pep talk back at the temple. With a shaky breath, I let the emotions wash over me and feel them. Finally, we reached the top of a steep slope. The path ended in a curtain of green goo. The snake king turned to face us.

"Beyond this camouflage is the Acropolis. You must remain here. I will check that tour way is clear."

"Wait." Piper stopped him. She turned to address the rest of the gemini. "There is only death above. You will be safer in the tunnels. Hurry back. Forget you saw us. Protect yourselves."