I Threw Grapes At A Ghost

We had to wait until after dark

We had to wait until after dark. The moon was full. Silver clouds drifted across the sky. The Texas air was much cooler at night compared to the heat earlier today. I stood near Percy as everyone got things ready. I was feeling uneasy about this.

"Percy," I started, "are you sure about this?"

"Only way for Nico to understand is for him to talk to his sister." Percy said, looking into the twenty foot long pit in front of us. "We need to do this."

"If you're sure." I said, crossing my arms nervously.

"We're fine, Vine Girl." Percy nudged my shoulder. I faced him with worry. He gave me a reassuring smile. "I'll protect you from any evil ghosts."

"My hero." I rolled my eyes, fighting a smile.

"Minos should be here by now." Nico stepped next to us. Everyone gathered around. "It's fully dark."

"Maybe he got lost." Percy hopefully said.

Nico poured root beer and tossed barbecue into the pit, then began chanting in Ancient Greek. Immediately the bugs in the woods stopped chirping.

"Make him stop." Tyson whispered to his brother.

Sulfurous mist seeped out of the ground. Shadows thickened into human form. One blue shade drifted to the edge of the pit and knelt to drink.

"Stop him!" Nico said, momentarily breaking his chant. "Only Bianca may drink!"

Percy drew his sword. The ghosts retreated with a collective hiss at the sight of his celestial bronze blade. But it was too late to stop the first spirit. He had already solidified into the shape of a bearded man with white robes. A circlet of gold wreathed his head, and even in the dark his eyes were alive with malice.

"Minos!" Nico said. "What are you doing?"

"My apologies, master." Minos didn't look apologetic. "The sacrifice smelled so good. I couldn't resist." He examined his own hand and smiled. "It is good to see myself again. Almost in solid form-"

"You are disrupting the ritual!" Nico protested. "Get-"

The spirits of the dead began shimmering dangerously bright, and Nico had to take up the chant again to keep them at bay.

"Yes, quite right, master." Minos said with amusement. I didn't see how Nico could trust this ghost. The poor kid was putting his trust in the wrong person, well ghost. "You keep chanting. I've come to protect you from these liars who would deceive you."

"Look who's talking-"

"Percy Jackson..." Minos cut me off and looked at Percy as if he were some kind of cockroach. "My, my. The sons of Poseidon haven't improved over the centuries, have they?"

"We're looking for Bianca di Angelo." Percy looked like he wanted to punch the ghost, but held himself back. "Get lost."

"I understand you once killed my Minotaur with you bare hands." Minos chuckled. "But worse things await you in the maze. Do you really believe Daedalus will help you?"