The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Rachel decided she wanted to join us as well

Rachel decided she wanted to join us as well. We stopped to check on Sally and Paul first. They appreciated the gesture and fed us lunch. We told them we would keep them updated with any news. Then we swung by and asked Pollux in his hometown, Pine Buff, Arkansas for any updates. He said he hasn't seen anything in the state as of yet, but he's still looking.

For the next three days, we've traveled from New York to Oregon. It seemed no matter which trail we picked up on, it led to nowhere. I was growing frustrated and restless. It was like whoever took Percy was trying to hide his existence from the world. There was also the matter of the countless monsters we've killed within these three days.

My heart tightened at the thought. We were flying over Northern California when I recognized the city. My frown deepened and my stomach twisted. Down below in Napa, somewhere, was my mom's winery. Annabeth and Seth were talking quietly to themselves. Rachel must have sensed my mood change.

"Ivy, you okay?" Rachel asked.

"This is my hometown." I informed her.

"Wait, so your mom's winery and vineyard is somewhere down there?" Annabeth questioned.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Well, do you think she will give us a free meal?" Seth placed a hand on his stomach. "I'm starved."

"If she's even there." I grumbled. I glanced at my friends to tell they were hungry for an actual meal. "We can stop and try though. I still have some money left over just in case."

"I can pay for it, if need be. Don't worry Ives." Rachel said. "Where is it?"

I scanned the city below us. Closer to the direction of San Fransisco, was a large vineyard. You could see the huge winery building from up here.

"Down there." I pointed in the correct direction. "Sugar, head down to that winery."

The pegasi flew to the left, lowering towards the vineyard. My heart started to race at the thought of meeting my mom again. I haven't seen her since I was ten. Worry crawled in my throat as all the worst possible scenarios ran through my head. What if she kicks us out? What if she doesn't remember me? What if she does actually hate me?

"Ivy..." Annabeth said carefully as the pegasi landed. We hopped off and started to walk the dirt road to the winery. "You okay?"

"Just nervous." I fiddled with my hands.

"Hey, we got your back." Seth patted my shoulder in reassurance. "Worse case, we just take the food to go."

"Yeah, we don't have to stay if you don't want to." Rachel added.

Classical music played from the speakers. There was definitely an expansion to the building. It was bigger than before. More dinning tables were outside with fancy umbrellas over head. Lights strung from the building to the wooden posts that overlooked the vineyard. The parking lot was full of cars. When I was younger, it was never this packed. There were even people parking in the grass.