Night Swim

The rest of the day was strange

The rest of the day was strange. Campers trickled in from the city. The wounded were cared for. The dead were given proper funeral rites at the campfire. Ares and Aphrodite cabins both claimed Silena as a hero and lit her shroud together. Ethan was even given one.

Dinner at the pavilion was low key. I ate dinner with Pollux who's arm was healed. Juniper gave Grover a flying tackle hug before they went to the beach to take a moonlit walk. Mrs. O'Leary was going around happily eating off people's table scraps. Nico ate with my dad and Chiron.

I snuck into the kitchens with Annabeth and Tyson to bake a birthday cupcake for Percy. Tyson decided to do a majority of it. I topped it with a candle and went to go find Percy.

"He's at the pavilion!" Annabeth called as she walked over to Seth.

I saw him sitting by himself at his table, staring at the water. I lit the candle with a lighter and made my way over. The chocolate cupcake with blue icing looked like a toddler made it, but it was the thought that counted. Right?

"Hey." I sat down beside him. "Happy birthday."

"What?" Percy stared at me confused.

"It's August 18th." I told him. Realization crossed his features. I extended the cupcake to him. "Make a wish, Shark Boy."

"Did you bake this yourself?" Percy asked, taking the cupcake from my hands.

"Tyson and Annabeth helped."

"That explains why it looks like a chocolate brick." Percy studied his cupcake with interest. "With extra blue cement."

I laughed at his comparison. Percy silently made his wish, then blew out the candle. Percy split the cupcake in half and gave me one piece. We ate the cupcake with our fingers and watched the ocean. Crickets and monsters were making noise in the woods.

"You saved the world." I told him.

"We saved the world." Percy corrected.

"And Rachel is the new Oracle, which means she won't be dating anybody." I casually mentioned.

"You don't sound disappointed." Percy raised a brow.

"Oh, I don't care." I shrugged.

"Uh-uh."

"You got something to say, Shark Boy?" I turned to look at him.

"Nothing, just detecting some jealousy."

"I am not jealous!" I breathed out a laugh.

"You so are."

"Why would I be jealous if I'm dating you?" I titled my head and raised a brow.

"Okay, fair point, but before you were." Percy pointed out.

"Shut up." I grumbled, not bothering to lie.