Roman Feast

The Romans knew how to eat

Sets of couches and long tables were carted into the forum until it resembled a furniture showroom. Romans lounged in groups of ten or twenty. They talked and laughed while spirits swirled overhead, bringing an endless assortment of pizzas, sandwiches, chips, cold drinks, and fresh backed cookies. Purple ghosts in togas and legionnaire armor drifted through the crowd. Around the edge of the feast were satyrs-fauns, trotting from table to table to receive food and spare change. In the nearby fields, the war elephant frolicked with Mrs. O'Leary, and children played tag around the statues of Terminus that lined the city limits.

All I wanted was to be with Percy-preferably alone. I knew I would have to wait. In order for our quest to succeed, we needed the Romans, which meant getting to know them and building some goodwill.

Reyna and a few of her offices sat with the Greeks. Percy joined us with his two friends, Frank and Hazel. A tornado of food platters settled onto the table. Percy sat in my left with Annabeth on the other side of him. A blonde seated to my right  had a goblet filled to the rim with a bright red drink. I leaned forward in interest. Percy was talking to Annabeth about something, distracted. This was my time to ask.

"Is-is that Kool-Aid?" I pointed to the cup in his hand.

"With extra sugar." He gave me a crazy grin, already having an all too familiar drunk like appearance. "You definitely feel the effect quicker. The sugar rush is insane."

"Extra sugar you say." I hummed at the thought. "Baccus kid?"

"Yup!" He lifted his goblet, some Kool-Aid splashing out onto the table. "Dionysus?"

"I'm Ivy." I told him with a nod.

"Dakota." He introduced himself. "So, I guess we're siblings. Cool."

"So, is it the extra sugar that gives it the kick or...?"

"I put at least three packets of sugar." Dakota stated.

"Whoa, wait a minute." Percy stopped talking to Annabeth and butted into our conversation. He narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "Were you two talking about Kool-Aid?"

"Of course not." I innocently scoffed. It was hard holding back a grin. "We were talking about root beer, right Dakota?"

"Oh! Add one packet of sugar with some vanilla creamer, and bam!" Dakota slammed his hand on the desk with a crazed smile. I felt myself reflect the smile on my face. "Works just like Kool-Aid."

"Okay," Percy made sure to block me from Dakota by covering my face with his hands, "let's not give my girlfriend any ideas on that."

"No, that actually sounds so good!" I was saying before Percy placed his hand over my mouth.

"No, it doesn't." Percy gave me a look.

"Buzz kill." I grumbled, removing his hand from my mouth. "Dakota, you should try Diet Coke and lime. So good."