The Spy And The Drakon

An angry roar shook the city

An angry roar shook the city. I woke up startled, my heart racing. Percy lifted his head off my shoulder. I could see other demigods waking up and rushing about from the terrible noise. Grover stood beside our bunk, looking nervous.

"What was that?" Grover asked.

"They're coming." Percy said. "And we're in trouble."

🍇

The Hephaestus cabin was out of Greek fire. The Apollo cabin and the Hunters were scrounging for arrows. Most of us had already invested so much ambrosia and nectar we didn't dare to take any more.

There was a total of sixteen campers, fifteen Hunters, and half a dozen satyrs left in fighting shape: the rest had taken refuge on Olympus. The Party Ponies tried to form ranks, but they staggered and giggled and the all smelled like root beer. The Texans were head-butting the Coloradoans. The Missouri branch was arguing with Illinois.

"Root beer can be dangerous." I shivered, a flash back of an over-caffeinated night when I was younger with my brothers came into mind.

"Why do you say that like you have experience?" Percy raised a brow.

"Let's just say, you don't want to see Ivy over caffeinated." Pollux walked by. "Caffeine usually works well to help calm demigods with ADHD, but when you mix sugar and caffeine, and lots of it, for us child of Dionysus... we can be like the Party Ponies."

"Imagine once they're of age to drink." Marie shuddered. "Not an experience I want to see. Heads up, keep any sugary drink away from them."

Pollux rolled his eyes and the both of them went to go talk to Katie and the Stoll brothers. Annabeth and Thalia joined us.

"So, I shouldn't let you have too much root beer then?" Percy questioned. "Or a super sugary drink?"

"No more than three." I told him. "It's always the fourth one that hits the hardest."

"Yeah, she gets crazy hyper." Annabeth added. "It's like a switch. Kind of worrisome to be honest. There was that one Kool-Aid incident a few."

"Please don't bring that one up." I winced. "Never drinking Kool-Aid again."

"Good to know." Percy slowly nodded.

Chiron trotted up with Rachel on his back. Annoyance crept into my veins. Why was she still here?

"Your friend has some useful insights, Percy." Chiron said.

"Just some things I saw in my head." Rachel blushed.

"A drakon." Chiron said. "A Lydian drakon, to be exact. The oldest and most dangerous kind."

"How did you know that?" Percy stared at her.

"Yeah, how?" I crossed my arms and furrowed my brows.

"I'm not sure." Rachel admitted. "But this drakon has a particular fate. It will be killed by a child of Ares."