Overboard

I was standing beside Percy at the starboard as we talked with Annabeth and Piper

I was standing beside Percy at the starboard as we talked with Annabeth and Piper. She was catching us up with what Seth had told her about what's going on back at Camp Half-Blood. Everyone is preparing for battle with the Romans. It's more of a defensive approach as they waited for Nico, Reyna, and Coach Hedge to bring the Athena Parthenos.

The sky darkened quickly and poured harshly. Suddenly, the ship tilted violently. We didn't have time to grasp the railing. The four of us slid across the deck. Percy managed to grab hold to the mast and grasped my wrist. I grabbed Annabeth's hand as she hit a hold of Piper's. The hull creaked. The engine groaned. I could hear Nike yelling from the stables.

Lightning flashed all around us. Something, or someone, had to have caused this freak storm that appeared out of nowhere. The sails were being ripped to shreds. The ship pitched to port. I scrambled to my feet.

"What's going on?" I yelled, looking toward Percy.

He furrowed his brows with a shrug and tapped his ear. I groaned. He couldn't hear me from how loud the storm was. He yelled something and pointed to the water where a green flash of light was seen from below the waves. Something was causing this storm. I nodded, catching on. Percy grinned and patted my shoulder.

My eyes scanned the deck to see many of the items on deck were moving front the waves crashing into the ship. One look at the girls and we quickly understood what we had to do. Frank scrambled on deck and pointed to the water with wide eyes. We looked to see a wave growing quickly in size.

Percy grumbled curses, well at least I'm pretty sure they were foul language, under his breath when we saw the huge wave the size of a skyscraper coming our way. He went straight to work, extending his arms out to control the water. The wave crashed into us. Water flooded the deck, washing the front crossbows and half the port out into the sea. Percy pushed the opposite way and the ship tilted to stabilize the hull. He summoned giant fists of water from the ocean to slam into the larger waves before they hit the ship.

The girls and I tried to save the rigging. We worked well together without talking, which was beneficial since it was hard to hear anyone over the loudness of the storm. Cold rain poured on us, drenching our clothes. My hair plastered to my face and I had to roughly move it aside so I could see. It was the wrong day to have it lose.

Frank had turned into a gorilla when he came to deck and was swinging upside down off the starboard rail. He worked on untangling the broken oars. Leo was trying to get the ship airborne with a bungee cord tied to himself. Every time a wave hit, he was smacked into the control board. Festus was spewing fire at the rain.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Hazel and Jason come to deck. Poor Hazel looked awful with her seasickness. Her complexion held an odd color of paleness and green. She clung to the railing of the stairs. Jason staggered toward the mast. Leo was yelling at him, but his voice was drowned out by the storm.