Quest

"It's Jason's quest

"It's Jason's quest." Annabeth took a breath. "So it's Jason's choice. Obviously, he's the child of lightning. According to tradition, he may choose any two companions."

"Well, obviously you and Ivy." Travis yelled. "You two have the most experience."

"No, Travis." Annabeth said. "I'm not helping Hera. Every time I've tried, she's deceived me or it's come to back to bite me later. Forget it. No way."

"No." I shook my head. "I'm leaving first thing in the morning to find Percy."

"It's connected." Piper blurted out. "You know that's true, don't you? This whole business with your boyfriend's disappearance- it's all connected."

"How?" Drew demanded. "If you're so smart, how?"

Piper tried to answer, but it was as if she had trouble putting it into words. I thought on what Piper said.

"You may be right, Piper." I said. "If this is all connected, I'll find out from the other end-by searching for Percy. I'm in no rush to rescue Hera. But there is another reason I can't go. The prophecy says otherwise."

"It says who I pick." Jason agreed. "The forge and dove shall break the cage. The forge is the symbol of Vul-Hephaestus."

"If you have to beware the earth," Nyssa's shoulders slumped, "you should avoid traveling overland. You'll need air transport. The flying chariot is broken and the pegasi, we're using them to search for Percy. But maybe the Hephaestus cabin can help figure out something else to help. With Jake incapacitated, I'm senior camper. I can volunteer for the quest."

"It's me." Leo stood up. His cabinmates stirred. Several tried to pull him down to his seat. Leo resisted. "No, it's me. I know it is. I've got an idea for the transportation problem. Let me try. I can fix this!"

Jason studied him for a bit. Then he smiled.

"We started this together, Leo." Jason told him. "Seems only right you come along. You find us a ride, you're in."

"Yes!" Leo pumped his fist.

"It'll be dangerous." Nyssa warned. "Hardship, monsters, terrible suffering. Possibly none of you will come back alive."

"Oh." Leo didn't look excited anymore. Then he remembered everyone was watching. He out on a fake smile. "I mean... Oh, cool! Suffering? I love suffering! Let's do this."

"Then, Jason," Annabeth nodded, "you only need to choose the third quest member. The dove-"

"Oh, absolutely!" Drew was on her feet and flashed Jason a smile. I raised a brow at her. This would be her first quest.  Although she helped in the Titan War, she wasn't exactly fighting material. "The dove is Aphrodite. Everybody knows that. I am totally yours."

"No." Piper stepped forward with his hands clenched.

"Oh, please, Dumpster Girl." Drew rolled her eyes. "Back off."