The Giant And The Titan

I felt uneasy telling Damasen our plans in Tartarus

I felt uneasy telling Damasen our plans in Tartarus. Still, he was a good host. He'd saved Percy. His drakon stew was excellent compared to firewater. With his hut being all warm and cozy, I felt myself being able to actually relax. Which was ironic, since I was having dinner with a giant and a Titan.

I told him about my life and adventures with Percy. I explained how Percy met Bob, wiped his memory in the River Lethe, and left him in the care of Hades.

"Percy was trying to do something good." I promised Bob. "He didn't know Hades would treat you like this."

I thought about what the aria had said-how Nico had been the only person to visit Bob in the palace of the Underworld. Nico was one of the least sociable demigods I've ever known. But I've seen his caring side and knew that his kindness to Bob is what helped save Percy and I. Bob cleaned his bowl with his squirt bottle and rag, staying quiet.

"Continue your story, Ivy Pittaluga." Damasen made a rolling gesture with his spoon.

I explained about our quest in the Argo II. When it came to explaining about stopping Gaea from waking, I stopped.

"Uh...she's your mom, right?"

Damasen scraped his bowl. His face was covered with old poison burns, gouges, and scare tissue.

"Yes. And Tartarus is my father." Damasen gestured around the hut. "As you can see, I was a disappointment to my parents. They wanted...more from me."

"So...you don't mind us fighting your mom?" I asked.

"Best of luck." Damasen grunted. "At present, it's my father you should worry about. With him opposing you, you have no chance to survive."

"Opposing us how?" I lost my appetite, setting the bowl down on the floor. Small Bob came over to check it out.

"All of this." Damasen cracked a drakon bone and used a splinter as a tooth pick. "All that you see is the body of Tartarus, or at least the manifestation of it. He knows you're here. He tries to thwart your progress at every step. My brethren hunt you. It is remarkable you have lived this long, even with the help of Iapetus."

"The defeated one hunt us, yes." Bob scowled when he heard his name. "They will be close behind now."

"I can obscure your path for a while, long enough for you to rest." Damasen spat out his toothpick. "I have power in this swamp. But eventually, they will catch you."

"My friends must reach the Doors of Death." Bob said. "That is the way out."

"Impossible." Damasen muttered. "The Doors are too well guarded."

"But you know where they are?" I leaned forward with interest.

"Of course. All Tartarus flows down to one place: his heart. The Doors of Death are there. But you cannot make it there alive with only Iapetus."