Chapter 2

Freen awoke with a throbbing headache, causing her to immediately slide off the bed. The bedroom was unfamiliar, and she couldn't recall how she got there.

The walls were adorned in soft shades of gray, creating a calm and understated backdrop. A sizable window, resembling a wall, allowed ample natural light to permeate the space and offered a view of the garden beyond. The curtains, connected to a switch, provided easy control over privacy and lighting.

At the center of the room sat a king-size bed with a sleek, monochromatic design that complemented the overall aesthetic. The bed was outfitted with matching gray linens, adding a touch of comfort to the minimalist setting.

Freen furrowed her brows. She had been to Richie's room before, but it didn't look anything like this. Also, Richie would never let her sleep in his room because it was always too messy. Here, it was so tidy that not even a speck of dust could be spotted.

Gently rubbing her eyes, Freen went outside. Everything was immaculate, as if the party from the previous night had never happened. Perhaps Richie's parents had called in janitors to tidy up, avoiding any morning embarrassment for the visitors.

"Good morning," Richie greeted Freen with a glass of water and motioned for her to follow him to the dining area. "Breakfast is ready, Mudaeng." He teasingly ruffled Freen's hair and chuckled.

Freen glared at him and was about to chase him when she noticed Richie's parents eating at the dining table. She slowly smiled and mouthed something to Richie before joining them.

At the table, Richie's father sat at the head, his mother on his left, and Richie on her mother's side, leaving Freen puzzled. She couldn't sit on the right side of Richie's father since she wasn't part of the family.

"You can sit beside Dad, Freen. The little demon might still be showering," Richie chuckled and motioned for her to take the seat.

Richie's mother, Rawee, nudged her son. "Stop calling your sister a little demon. If she hears you, you two will fight again."

That's when Freen remembered what happened the night before. She had spent the night with Richie's "little demon" sister, falling asleep on her bed.

Freen covered her mouth in shock, causing the family to look at her. She immediately apologized and closed her eyes, berating herself for forgetting such a significant detail.

"Who's sitting in my seat?" Rebecca's voice resonated in the dining room, and the maid rushed to assist her. Fresh from the bath, she exuded a different aura compared to the previous night. The maids seemed afraid of her.

Freen stood up and moved to the seat beside her so Becky could sit on her father's side. Becky looked at Freen and chuckled.

"Rebecca, mind your manners," her father scolded her, and she chuckled again.

"Sorry. I think I know her." Becky shrugged and asked for a strong coffee to be prepared.

"Coffee again? I thought you were going to stop drinking it. You're acidic—" Her mother halted when she noticed Freen. It wasn't proper to scold her daughter in front of others, so she stayed silent and ate.

"Don't worry, Mom. I only drink it once a day." Rebecca smiled sweetly and asked Freen to pass the plate of bacon.

Freen couldn't eat comfortably as she used to. She didn't know Richie had a sister, and she certainly didn't know she was like this. Before, she could joke around with his parents, but now not even a word could escape her mouth.

"Anyway, Freen," Richie's father broke the silence. "What's your program? Are you going to the university with Richie?" he asked.

"I'm going to study Electronics Engineering. And yes, we're at the same university but in different majors." She smiled at him. "If I'm not mistaken, you're in Civil Engineering, right?" She glanced at Richie, who was busy eating his omelet.

"Yes. Didn't I tell you before?" he asked, glaring at his best friend.

"Rebecca wants to study Electronics Engineering too," his father commented as he cut the bacon on his plate. "Isn't that right?"

"Wrong," Becky replied. "I'm still in my last year of high school. I'm not sure what I want."

"Study Electronics Engineering. Otherwise, don't study at all." Mr. Armstrong stood up and left the dining room.

Everyone fell silent again. This had never happened before when Freen ate with them. It was a first, and Freen couldn't shake the feeling that Becky was the black sheep of the family, the reason she was studying abroad.

"I'm sorry about that, Freen. Please eat up." Rawee smiled at her, and she nodded.

After eating, Freen decided to go home since her aunt would probably be waiting for her. She hadn't told her that she would be sleeping at Richie's, but she never refused whenever she was with the Armstrongs.

"I'll take you home," Richie insisted, pinching Freen's nose, only to have his hand slapped away. "Why? Before, you always told me to take you home, and now you're refusing?"

"It's fine. I can handle myself. Besides, my aunt is teasing me already. She said that you're my boyfriend." Freen rolled her eyes. "If only I could introduce Gulf to her." Freen stood up and prepared to leave. She reached the main door and was about to wave goodbye when Richie raised his brows.

"Then why don't you introduce him? I mean, he's handsome, Freen. He's smart. And take note, he's the director of one of the organizations in the Engineering Department. So, what's stopping you?" Richie crossed his arms.

"He's too good to be true, Richie. You know me. I don't believe that I am his only girl." Freen sighed, patted her best friend's shoulder, and turned to go home.

"I'll take you home. I'll take Becky to the mall too. Wait for me," Richie said, calling his sister.

Freen began to recall what happened the previous night. She averted her gaze and regretted everything. She had a boyfriend, and she had just cheated on him.

"Let's go," Richie said, taking Freen's hand. "Careful, it's slippery." He chuckled and intertwined their hands.

Freen knew Becky was looking at them, but she couldn't meet her eyes. How could she?