PART I: LAST CHAPTER

"Freen!" Heng greeted me with a warm hug upon my arrival. He held me tightly, burying his face in my neck, his eyes closed. "I missed you so much."

"Me too," I replied, smiling as we parted from the embrace. "You looked stressed."

"Yeah. I couldn't sleep at all, thinking about what happened to you during your stay there." Heng sighed, running his fingers through my hair. "How was your vacation? Did it go well?"

I nodded. "I had fun. I'm sorry for leaving you when you needed me the most."

"It's fine." Heng interlocked our hands and smiled. "As long as I know you'll come back, I'll always be fine. Besides, I'm the one who asked you to go there." He chuckled.

After a quick stop at the house for me to freshen up, Heng and I headed to the company. My employees welcomed me warmly, and with Heng by my side, we expressed gratitude for their support despite the misleading internet rumors.

"You know, Ma'am, the company is so sad without you. Some investors were looking for you, and they threatened to withdraw their shares if you didn't show up. Thankfully, Mr. Heng was there. You two make a great match!" one of my employees exclaimed, and we laughed.

"You're exaggerating. Get back to work," Heng playfully responded as he guided me to my office.

It felt refreshing to be back at work after days away. I missed the routine of signing papers, reviewing proposals, attending meetings, and even rejecting some ridiculous ideas.

"By the way, Freen, Dad told me that we need to get married as soon as possible." Heng looked embarrassed, glancing at the floor.

"Why are you nervous?" I asked, gently lifting his chin to meet my eyes. "You don't want to marry me?"

"It's not that I don't want to, but I'm pulling you into my mess. You should be free, Freen. You should marry someone you like. I don't want to hold you back." Heng sighed, removing my hands from his face.

"You fixed my mess. I'll help you fix yours. I'll marry you, Heng," I reassured him, smiling. "We can always divorce once you find the person you want to spend your life with, right?"

"What if that person is with you?" Heng asked, looking earnestly into my eyes. "And the person you like, can't that be me?"

I hesitated, not wanting to give false hope. "Let's not talk about that anymore. When's the wedding?" I changed the subject, glancing at the papers on my desk.

"Three days from now. Everything is prepared except for your dress. They need your measurements," Heng informed me.

"Should we go to the boutique now?" I suggested, clinging to Heng's arm. Despite feeling tired from a night at the airport and a day at the office, I wanted to keep moving forward, avoiding thoughts of her.

"What about this?" I asked Heng, showing him the gown I would wear for our wedding. I didn't want anything grand, considering the impending divorce once he became the chairman.

"It's fine. You can pick whatever you want," he said.

I chose the first dress I tried on and promptly bought it. I didn't want to linger in the boutique; it felt suffocating to try on these gowns.

Heng carried the box containing the dress and suggested I rest at home. When we entered the car, I sighed and looked at him. "I don't want to sleep. I need to work," I insisted, not wanting to be alone.

"Freen, just tell me if you don't want to continue with this marriage," Heng said, concern in his voice.

"I need a job, Heng. I'm doing this for myself, so don't worry," I assured him.