Chapter 15

Becky walked to the Engineering dormitories as the clock struck three in the afternoon. To her surprise, instead of finding Freen, she spotted Engfa with luggage at the building's entrance. Furrowing her brows, she approached Engfa with heavy strides.

Could it be something they discussed last night that made Engfa leave? No. Becky couldn't bear the thought of Engfa departing because of her.

"Where are you going?" Becky asked, taking Engfa's luggage. "Are you leaving?"

"Yeah," Engfa smiled, reclaiming her luggage. "I have a seminar with the student council off-campus. You're overreacting." She playfully flicked Becky's forehead and glanced at her.

"I thought you were leaving because of what I said last night. I understand now. I'm sorry for being like that. It's in the past, and besides, I was so young back then." Becky chuckled, rubbing the back of her neck.

"You're still young, Becky. So, don't you dare go around and flirt, okay? You should study first." Engfa ruffled her hair, causing her to roll her eyes. "I gotta go. You can stay in my room if you want. It's clean."

Becky waved at Engfa and entered the building. While ascending the stairs, she overheard students discussing Freen and Richie. They were gossiping about their alleged relationship and accusing Freen of cheating.

"That freshman knows how to make a name," remarked the short-haired girl. "Imagine, she first flirted with Gulf. I saw them during a drug test. And now, Richie?"

"I heard Richie might join football too?" her friend asked. "If he does, I'm sure he's better than Gulf. Gulf was known to be a player—a playboy, rather."

"Yeah. Freen and Gulf seemed meant for each other. Imagine, both cheating with each other?" She laughed. "Anyway, were they really together? I never heard Gulf saying he had a freshman fling."

"I don't know. Perhaps, Freen was just trying to push herself on Gulf. That girl doesn't know her place."

Fed up, Becky glared at the two and spoke furiously. They stopped talking, intimidated. Unbeknownst to them, Becky wasn't a college student, and they wouldn't be afraid if they knew.

"Next time, make sure no one can hear your conversation, especially when prying into someone's life." Becky remarked. "And I don't want to hear Freen's name from your mouths."

"Who are you anyway?" The short-haired girl challenged, noticing Becky wasn't from their building.

"She's my sister," Richie said, wrapping his arms around Becky from behind. "You're talking about Freen?"

"Ah, no," her friend said, gesturing the short-haired girl to walk away.

"If you hadn't come, I could've handled them myself," Becky boasted, rolling her eyes.

"You couldn't even answer them when they asked who you are. I've been watching since you interfered in their conversation." Richie pinched her cheeks, causing her to slap his hands away. "Seriously, Becky, you don't have to protect Freen's reputation from everyone. Just ignore them. Talking to people like them is a waste of time. Even if you show them how good Freen is, if they believe the opposite, you can't force them to agree with you."

"Fine, fine." Becky grimaced and walked ahead of her brother. She was there to check on Freen.

"Freen's not here. You can wait for her in my room. Perhaps, she'll come back later in the evening," Richie suggested.

"No thanks. I have my room," Becky replied, showing her keys.

Richie chuckled, shaking his head, letting Becky do as she pleased.

Entering Engfa's room, Becky realized it was exceptionally clean with minimal furniture. Engfa must either be planning to move out or not staying in the dorm often.

"Gosh," Becky muttered, lying down on the bed. Engfa's toiletries were there, but some necessary items were missing.

"I hope Engfa won't mind if I use some of this later," Becky said, closing her eyes.

When she opened them, it was already evening. Realizing she had slept too much, Becky rubbed her eyes and went to the balcony with a cigarette in hand. She coughed when she first tried it, but she continued.

"You're back to smoking," Freen said from behind the wall. "By the way, I broke up with him."

Becky wanted to speak but hesitated, fearing a bad impression due to smoking. "It's fine if you don't want to talk. Just smoke, so I know you're still there." Freen chuckled. "It hurts, but not as much anymore."

Leaning on the wall, Becky smoked, listening to Freen's rant about her love life. Freen hadn't confided in her before. Last night she was devastated, but now she seemed okay.

"Perhaps, I was just disappointed. Because I loved him so much before, but he cheated multiple times without me knowing. Maybe we didn't love each other anymore and were just using each other." Freen sighed, and Becky felt that she rested on the reels.

"I saw Richie a while ago, talking to the girls who were badmouthing about me in the cafeteria. I didn't expect he would scold them." Freen chuckled. "Perhaps, my aunt was right. I should just date Richie. He's one of a kind, you know? Kind, smart, handsome. He's better than anyone else."

Upon hearing those words, Becky threw the cigarette in the bin and went inside the room. Looking at the mirror, she saw her teary eyes. Why was she hurting? She didn't have feelings for Freen. She only liked her for her personality, not to the extent of wanting to date her. Why was this happening?

Tears fell, and Becky wiped them away. Grabbing her bag, she left Engfa's dorm. Spotting Richie waiting at Freen's door, he waved at him. However, this time she was mad. Why Richie of all people? Why him?

"Why are you crying?" Richie asked while waiting for Freen to open her door. She didn't answer.

When Freen opened the door, she looked at the siblings with curious eyes. "What's happening?"

"Nothing. I have to go." Becky excused herself and ran outside the building.

Why? Why did she have to like someone who liked her brother?

---

Kind of busy, but I'll try my best to update. Thank you for waiting. Lovelots. -vivaciousgeek.