Chapter 17

Freen stood on the rooftop, unaffected by the striking sun, consumed by an infuriating sensation. With the rumors spreading, she doubted if anyone would believe her side of the story. Becky, her confidante, wasn't there. If only she were, Freen was confident she would have believed her without judgment. Becky was the only one who knew her completely, never passing judgment on her life choices.

"Freen," Richie's voice broke through her thoughts as he approached.

She looked at him briefly and returned her gaze to the sky, gripping onto the railing. "Why are you here?"

"Becky told me that you're here," he replied.

Freen smiled and nodded slowly. But it wasn't Richie she wanted to talk to at this moment; it was Becky. That's why she let her see her run here. She didn't want Richie to witness this side of her right now, though he had seen it multiple times before. She couldn't bear to hear Richie say, "I told you so." She knew dating Gulf was already a mistake, yet she fought for it.

"You can go back. I'm okay," she said, looking down.

"Becky told me the truth," Richie stated, standing beside her. "Why did you think you slept with someone that night? Did you see yourself naked in the morning? Did you feel something unusual?"

"What do you mean?" she asked, curious, looking at her best friend.

"Becky said that you didn't sleep with anyone, Freen. You were in her room, right? She was there too," he reminded her. "And Becky won't lie to me about this matter."

"So, I was guilty for no reason?" Freen asked, her eyes welling up. "No, I still cheated. I kissed her."

"Her?" Richie furrowed his brows. "Who's her?"

Freen's eyes widened. She didn't want to ruin Becky and Richie's relationship. Instead of scolding her, Richie might scold Becky. She didn't want that to happen.

"She was a girl, Richie. I don't know her name. I was drunk because of the drink you made me drink. I went to Becky's room, and we kissed," Freen explained. "I thought something happened more than that. I assumed."

"I want to meet her. I want to clarify things," he said, reaching for Freen's hand, but she declined.

"I told you, I don't know her." She lied again. "Let's forget about it. At least, we have a witness that nothing happened between us. Tell Becky I'm grateful."

"If it wasn't for my sister, Freen, you'd forever be eaten by your guilt. I know you're the person who couldn't stand cheating because of your mother and father." Richie sighed, wrapping his arms around Freen. "Let's have dinner together later. You, me, and Becky."

Later that evening, Freen and Becky went to the cafeteria, but Richie didn't show up. He mentioned something urgent came up, so the two of them ended up eating together.

"Are you sure you're okay now?" Becky teased, as if nothing had happened, as if she hadn't heard those words the night before.

"Yes," Freen smiled. "Anyway, thank you, Bec."

"For?" Becky asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Richie told me that nothing happened between us that night. But I was wondering. Why did you tell me that I drive you insane if nothing happened?" Freen rested her chin on her hand.

Becky averted her gaze and focused on eating. That night, nothing happened, but Freen's words left her feeling uneasy. She didn't know if Freen could still remember it, but it was her first time hearing those words.

"Becky," Freen said. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

"No. Why?" she asked back.

"Don't you want to find one?" Freen asked again.

"I'm from heartbreak, Freen. My ex cheated on me. But I'm okay now," she said, smiling. She knew Freen was drunk that night.

Freen hugged her tightly, burying her face in Becky's chest. Becky caressed her hair, smiling at how cute Freen was.

"If I were your girlfriend, I wouldn't cheat on you. You're too beautiful, Becky. It's her loss." Freen whispered, making Becky smile even more.

"Then, do you want to be my girlfriend?" Becky playfully asked.

Freen shook her head. "I have a boyfriend. And tomorrow I know I would be eaten by my guilt. But for tonight, let me enjoy this." She looked at Becky with needy eyes. "Can you kiss me again?"

"Sleep. You're tired," Becky kissed her forehead, and Freen nodded.

Back then, Becky thought that no one would actually appreciate her. And then there was Freen.

"Becky, are you okay? You're drifting away," Freen chuckled.

But Becky now knew those words weren't meant by her. Freen only said those because she was drunk. But for a second, Becky felt special.

"Do you want to go to the pub with me?" Becky asked. "I want to drink."

"I told you, I don't drink," Freen reminded her.

"Just go with me. You don't have to drink," she said, reaching for Freen's hand. "Please?"

Freen chuckled at Becky's cute pleading face. She didn't have to do that to make Freen go with her.

"Fine. Right now?" she asked.

"Yes, let's go!" Becky yelled, and Freen looked around because it was embarrassing. They both laughed as they went to the pub.