Chapter 11

That very evening, Freen couldn't sleep. She felt an overwhelming need to apologize to Gulf for her earlier doubts. Although her aunt had spotted him buying flowers for someone, what if it was for a relative? Her aunt had a tendency to forget things, and Freen should have asked Gulf for clarification before jumping to conclusions.

"Hello?" Freen greeted Gulf the moment he answered the phone. "Can't sleep too?"

"How can I sleep if I'm thinking of you? You didn't reply to my messages. You didn't answer my calls. What do you want me to do?" Gulf asked, sighing.

"I'm sorry." Freen bit the bottom of her lip. "But I think we should break up, Gulf. Let's stop this. We're both hurting each other."

"How many times do I have to tell you that I love you? I won't break up with you, Freen. I won't let you go," he said.

"Isn't this becoming an obsession?" Freen asked, her internal struggle evident. She didn't want to let go, but the relationship was causing more pain, especially with her aunt's disapproval. Despite her love for Gulf, Freen questioned whether those feelings were enough, considering her recent actions. If she truly loved him, why did she cheat? Why didn't she care if Gulf would be out of her life?

"You really want to dump me?" Gulf asked, chuckling. "I don't want to, Freen. I won't break up with you. Call me again when you're okay and not breaking up with me."

Freen ran her fingers through her hair, contemplating how to convince Gulf to end their relationship. She had already cheated on him, and the guilt was unbearable.

She went to her room's balcony and gazed at the moon, finding solace in the calmness of the night. Suddenly, she heard someone on the next balcony clearing her throat. The scent of cigarette smoke filled the air.

"Is smoking allowed?" Freen asked.

"Why? Do you smoke too?" The girl replied. Freen couldn't see her due to the wall between them.

"Sometimes, but I stopped. I hate the smell." Freen covered her nose. "Aren't you afraid you'll get caught?"

The girl chuckled. "No one will confiscate it. You didn't know who I am?"

"Why? You have amnesia?" Freen asked.

"You don't know who's my father?" the girl inquired again.

"You're an orphan?"

"I'm Engfa." She introduced herself, despite the lack of visual contact. "Engfa Waraha."

Freen's eyes widened as she realized Engfa's identity. The Warahas owned the University, making her the daughter of the school's owner. Freen covered her mouth, realizing her earlier insensitivity.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." Freen chuckled awkwardly.

"It's fine." Engfa's voice became serious. "So, why are you out here anyway? Can't sleep too?"

"Yeah. Boyfriend problems." Freen massaged her temple and leaned on the wall. "This sucks."

"You know what, you should break up with him. Easy," Engfa suggested.

"That's what I want to do. I cheated on him. It makes me guilty that's why I want to break up, but he said he didn't want to." Freen explained, frustrated.

"Then he must be cheating on you too. You know boys, they just want to find an excuse for them not to be the bad guy. Perhaps, once you caught him, he'll excuse that you also cheated on him." Engfa chuckled. "You're not too smart when it comes to relationships. You should just find a girl lover."

"I'm straight."

"That's what my ex-girlfriend told me." Engfa chuckled, and her silhouette vanished momentarily. When she returned, she handed Freen a cigarette. Freen took it, hesitating at first. She badly needed this. "My ex-girlfriend told me that she needed space for a moment. Then she went to London. But she never came back. I just found out that she's already married." Engfa laughed.

"That hurts. Perhaps, I can't stand it if my boyfriend cheats on me. That's why I want to break up with him, although there was still a part of me that didn't want to." Freen looked at the cigarette, realizing she didn't have a lighter. "I don't know seriously. Perhaps, I should just go with the flow?"

"Let's meet tomorrow." Engfa suggested. "What's your name?"

"Freen. Sarocha Chankimha." Freen introduced herself. "How can we meet? Are you a sophomore or a freshman too?"

"Sophomore. See you around then?" Engfa asked.

"See you."

Freen leaned on the wall for a while then threw the cigarette in the bin. She shouldn't complicate things for herself. She needed to be free and clarify things with Gulf.