Chapter 40

"I'll fetch you when everything's settled, okay?" Heng patted my shoulder and motioned for me to go now.

I smiled bitterly as I clutched onto my luggage and entered the airport. I didn't want to leave, but this was for the best. That night at the bar, I refrained from drinking alcohol because I knew I was a lightweight. I couldn't handle it, which is why I stuck to drinking juice. However, someone spiked my drinks, and I woke up the next morning to find my life unraveling on the internet. It was terrifying how one click could ruin someone else's life. But I suspected that this was a carefully planned scheme.

The board aimed to eliminate me from the picture since I became the CEO of Pinitkanjanapun Electronics after my father. They anticipated that the chairman would appoint them to the position, but due to my father's close ties with him, the chairman handed it to me. Heng played a crucial role in this.

When I left seven years ago, I didn't see Heng at the company. I thought he continued his studies, but later on, I discovered that he had returned to another school. In the meantime, my father and I were the chairman's trusted allies, helping him run the company smoothly. I didn't realize that I had the skills for it.

When Heng returned, he was surprised to see me. He showed me a sketch I had done of him years ago, framed as a token of appreciation. He had paid me to sketch him after discovering my talent. Heng and I graduated together, supporting each other, and it was this close friendship that led the chairman to assume we were dating. Heng grew weary of rejecting numerous marriage proposals, realizing that these women were after his wealth, especially those proposals that flooded in after the chairman declared him as the sole heir.

To put an end to the incessant proposals, the chairman suggested that I become Heng's fiancée for public appearances. It was a charade to discourage other suitors. I agreed, as I was single and not keen on commitment. It was a win-win situation – he would be spared the annoying proposals, and I would secure my job.

Heng and I were just close friends. Nothing more, nothing less. The sweetness was genuine because he treated me like a sister, but the media spun it into a different kind of love.

I turned back before walking into the plane. I would surely miss my life here, but for now, I needed to escape the harsh scrutiny. I needed to rebuild myself.

***

The taxi dropped me off in front of our old house. It was still grand, but the paint outside was peeling. The caretaker informed me that the house was under renovation, and I couldn't enter. I wasn't planning to stay there; I just wanted to see how it was, how she was.

"Freen?" I heard a familiar voice from behind, and when I turned around, I saw Richie. He looked so mature now. It had been years. "How are you?" He approached me and pulled me into a hug.

"Gosh, you look mature now. The last time I saw you, you still had snot." I joked, and he glared at me, pulling away from the embrace.

"You're exaggerating." He rolled his eyes. "Anyway, are you staying here for good?"

"No, just for a vacation." I smiled and sighed. "Anyway, how are you? Is everything still going well?"

"Yes, of course. We already built the Armstrong Ranch not far from here. If you want to experience horse riding, you can go there and look for William. He's a great equestrian. And also, we have a mini-resort. My father built it before he settled in London. Everything has changed here, Freen, in the past years, you know?" Richie gestured for me to follow him, so I did. He helped me pull my luggage.

He was right. Many things had happened while I was away. Before, all I could see was grass, but now, there was a ranch, a grape vineyard, and a resort. Richie was indeed a talented businessman. I thought he was just good at tech.

"Ah, before we go somewhere, can I see her first?" I asked. Richie knew who I was referring to.

"Are you sure?" He inquired, and I nodded.

Richie asked one of his maids to get my luggage to his old room and motioned for me to follow him. We entered his car, and he drove off. Throughout the ride, we were silent. I wasn't ready for this, but I wanted to see her. I wanted to apologize for not being there when she needed me. I didn't regret leaving, but I regret leaving her behind.

"There she is." Richie pointed to a tombstone engraved with her name.

A bitter smile escaped my lips. I didn't know this would happen so fast. Why didn't she wait for me?

"She told me not to tell you. I'm sorry, Freen. I knew this day would come, so I prepared myself to explain, but I know you understand, right?" Richie asked.

I knew this day would come. I shouldn't blame anyone for this. "No, you don't have to explain. It's not like you killed her." I smiled as I prevented my tears from escaping. "I thought when I came back, I could surprise her. Bet she surprised me." I chuckled, and I felt Richie's arms around me.

"She died a year ago. She told me not to tell you because you're doing great wherever you are. She didn't want to make you sad. And she told me that if you ever miss her, just come here, and she'll be here too." Richie whispered.

"I'm sorry." I uttered as I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Let's go back."

Richie nodded and helped me out of the mausoleum. We went back to their residence, and just like how we went there, we were still silent.