Chapter 39

"Are you absolutely certain about this?" Richie inquired as they arrived at the airport. He had insisted on accompanying them for the final farewell, granting Freen and Richie a moment of solitude as Felix tactfully excused himself.

Freen let out a heavy sigh. "Yes. It's for my future. It's for Deli. Regrettably, it's not for Becky. I'm sorry," she confessed.

"There's no need for apologies. But did you disclose the truth to Becky? What was her reaction?" Richie asked, concerned.

Freen shook her head. "I couldn't bring myself to tell her the actual reason, that it's my aunt's wish. She might wait for my return, and I can't promise that will happen. So, I told her I needed to distance myself because I couldn't become the person she expected."

"Seems like my rejection didn't liberate you, huh?" Richie sighed. "I don't blame you, Freen. Your love for Deli runs deep, even if it means causing pain to yourself and Becky."

"I regret any hurt I caused your sister. I admit to being a coward in handling this. But, honestly, nothing else matters to me now. I've tried, Richie. I've pleaded. Yet, it didn't pan out." Freen fought back tears, attempting to keep her composure. "Engfa might be right. We're young; there's time to meet other people. I don't want Becky waiting for me without certainty. I want her to be free to find the love she truly deserves. And that love isn't with me."

Richie sighed deeply. "I'm upset with you for hurting both yourself and Becky, but that doesn't mean I'll cease being your friend. If you ever decide to return, my door will always be open for you, as a friend."

"Thank you," Freen replied, smiling as she hugged him. "Please take care of my aunt."

"Don't worry. I'll arrange for help. Perhaps a maid and a gardener?" Richie grinned and chuckled.

"One last request," Freen sighed, pulling away from the embrace. "Look after Becky for me, please?"

"I promise I will. So, don't worry about us. Begin anew. And I genuinely hope our paths cross again someday," Richie said, ruffling her hair. They shared a final laugh before he turned away, realizing that he couldn't make her stay. In the end, he had prioritized their happiness over his own.

Meanwhile, Freen found herself shedding tears within the airplane's restroom. The weight of leaving everyone behind proved overwhelming, but she understood that it was a necessary step. This departure was for the better, and if she ever returned, it would be as the best version of herself. Or so she hoped...

***

"Did they leave?" Becky asked when Richie returned to their house. Her eyes were still swollen from tears.

"Yeah." Richie sighed and joined Becky on the couch. "Why didn't you tell her the truth about why you weren't around during the past weeks? That you were admitted to the hospital because of your illness? You know that might change her mind, right?" Richie inquired.

"I didn't want to use it for her to pity me. Besides, she already made a decision. Her happiness isn't with me. How could I force someone to stay if they want to go away?" Becky replied, her eyes starting to well up again. "I want Freen to stay because she loves me, not because she pities me. I want her to stay because she wants me, not because of my disease."

Richie pulled his sister into a hug. It was incredibly challenging for her, yet she still prioritized Freen's happiness. If only Freen knew about her illness, would she have stayed? Richie knew, but Becky didn't. And he didn't want to interfere anymore. He found himself torn between his best friend and his sister. In the end, they had only hurt each other.

"Do you think she will come back?" Becky asked with teary eyes.

Richie shook his head. "I'm not sure, Becky. But it's best not to wait for her. That way, you won't be hurt. You can move forward. Focus on yourself and consider undergoing surgery. You can do that, right? For me and for our parents?" Richie smiled sadly at his sister.

Becky nodded and hugged her brother tightly. From now on, she would concentrate on herself. She was still young, and perhaps, someday she would find someone who truly loves her. Someone who could see her value and treat her better.

---

Pardon me for ending the third person point of view here. On the next chapters, it would be Freen's POV and would focus on the present time. Chapters 1-39 were just a glimpse of their youth and the real story will begin on the next chapters. For some who are confused, read the introduction again and you can proceed on the next chapter. Thank you so much for reading this story and I hope I reach your standard and expectation. I love you all, vivies!

- vivaciousgeek.