Chapter 22

After returning to the cabin, Freen and Becky decided to shower together. Later, Freen prepared a meal for Becky and watched her enjoy it with a radiant smile. Unable to contain her joy, Freen propped her elbow on the table, resting her chin on her palms, and gazed at Becky with genuine admiration.

"Why are you smiling like that?" Becky raised her brows.

"You're too cute. I want to keep you in my pocket," Freen grinned, and although Becky rolled her eyes, a smile crept onto her face. "I'm serious. You're too cute."

"Freen, you're obsessed with me. Stop that," Becky warned, but Freen playfully continued. "Hey."

"Fine," Freen conceded, searching for a switch as darkness approached. "Um, do you know where the switch is?"

"There's no electricity here," Becky replied, looking at Freen. "This is part of the punishment. We'll stay together without food and electricity. Think they're just giving us a simple punishment?"

"I can't live without lights. Just a dim light would be fine, but a completely dark room is a different story," Freen remarked, searching for a candle.

"Even if I'm going to sleep beside you?" Becky asked, raising her eyebrow. "Don't be scared. I won't leave you."

"You're serious?" she asked.

Becky nodded slowly. "Yep. So don't panic and eat with me. We can't eat if the sky turns dark."

As Freen and Becky ate together, they awaited sleep, but it eluded them. Both lay awake, gazing at the ceiling, illuminated only by the moonlight streaming through the window.

"Bec, I have a question," Freen said as they lay side by side. "What do you like about me?"

"Your genuineness," Becky answered nonchalantly. "You're just too pure, Freen. So honest. That's why I believe everything you say." She sighed, looking at Freen.

"You know I can't promise you anything, right? The only thing I can assure is that I won't look at any other men. But I wasn't sure—" Freen's words were interrupted as Becky placed her finger on her lips to silence her.

"I know the consequences. I know that in the end, there's a possibility that you won't choose me. But we'll never know," Becky chuckled, shrugging. "We'll never know if, during our time together, you'll fall in love with me."

"Can you make me fall?" Freen dared.

"I'll try my best, Chankimha," Becky smiled and kissed her forehead. "But for now, let's sleep. Tomorrow, we have to find food."

Freen nodded, embracing Becky. She closed her eyes, finding comfort in Becky's arms.

***

Freen awoke without Becky by her side but caught a whiff of something delicious outside. In the kitchen, she found Becky cooking mushroom soup to share.

"Don't worry, the mushrooms are from the canned goods. Also, I found a rod there. Do you want to come with me to the lake?" Becky asked, removing her apron and settling beside Freen.

Freen envisioned a future with Becky. It was too early for such thoughts, but she could picture Becky waking up to make breakfast for them and spending nights together. It was a pleasant thought, but societal expectations regarding same-gender relationships loomed.

"There you are again, looking at me like you're undressing me," Becky rolled her eyes and handed Freen a spoon.

"I'm imagining something better than that," Freen stuck out her tongue, and they began enjoying the soup.

It was delicious—Becky cooked better than Freen. What could she expect from someone who had almost lived her life alone?

"Did Engfa give you the chicken the previous night?" Becky asked.

"Yep," Freen nodded. "How did you know?"

"I was the one who bought it. I told her to deliver it to you since you hadn't eaten anything that night," Becky revealed.

"You followed me all day?" Freen raised her brows.

"What did you want me to do after shutting the door? Cry and contemplate? Of course, I would follow you in case your mind decided to go to the river and jump off there," Becky rolled her eyes.

"You're overreacting. Why would I kill myself because you're leaving?" Freen chuckled. "I would kill you instead," she joked.

"So, how's the chicken? Did you eat it?" Becky asked.

"One drumstick. Engfa ate it all. I thought she was just sharing it with me. I never thought it was actually for me," Freen furrowed her brows. "That girl."

Becky laughed, and Freen looked at her. Suddenly, Becky's nose bled, and she felt dizzy. Freen quickly supported her to prevent a fall. Becky was running a high fever, and Freen couldn't help but panic.

"You should go back to bed," Freen said, helping Becky to sit while avoiding excessive nose bleeding.

"I'll get some water. Lean on the headboard," Freen instructed, and Becky complied.

This was Freen's first time dealing with someone who was sick. Panicking, she wet a towel with alcohol, grabbed medicine from her bag, and handed it to Becky. She gently wiped Becky's face, attempting to alleviate the fever.

"Why didn't you tell me you're not feeling well?" Freen asked, but Becky only smiled.

"Because I don't want to worry you, idiot," she flicked Freen's forehead, chuckling.

"If you die here, I will kill you!" Freen threatened, continuing to wipe her face. "Such a stubborn kid. Take a rest. I'll handle everything."

"Yes, ma'am," Becky jeered, closing her eyes to rest.

Freen watched her sleep, feeling a sense of ease seeing her rest. Perhaps, Becky's exposure to the rain yesterday had caused her illness.

"Take some rest, babe. You must be tired from running," she whispered, gently kissing Becky's forehead.

"Freen," Becky called her name before she could leave the bed. "Stay with me, please. Stay with me until you can."