Chapter 64

Freen trailed me until I reached my unit. Milk seemed inclined to intervene, but I urged her not to. She retreated to her own apartment, allowing Freen entry into mine. I couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking. Did she comprehend the agony she caused me? Despite knowing her track record of breaking my heart, she seemed to be repeating the pattern. Why did she find it so effortless?

"Becky, please hear me out," Freen implored, her eyes welling up.

"Then speak, but make it count," I urged, attempting to calm myself.

"I'm sorry," she sobbed.

"You're only admitting it now? Do you have any idea how difficult it was for me to hold on? How many times I've endured this pain? Suppressing my jealousy because I love you so damn much? I'm done, Freen. Maybe they were right. Once is forgivable, but twice is too much. I believe in second chances, but you've given me reason to give up. Let's call it quits," I pushed her away, but she clung to me tightly, triggering my own tears. "I went there to ask you to marry me, Freen. I was so excited to propose."

"I'm sorry, babe. Please, I'm so sorry," Freen cried, holding me closer. "I didn't kiss her. Nothing happened."

"But would you have kissed her if I hadn't shown up?" I pushed her hands away from me. "If we were headed for a breakup, why did we even start?"

"Bec, what happened earlier was a mistake. I was exhausted. I haven't slept in days. Work's been overwhelming. I was starving. I was hallucinating. I was drunk. Would you believe me if I thought you were her?" Freen's explanation elicited a chuckle from me.

"Your excuses are feeble, Freen. Leave. I don't want to see you again," I ushered her out the door and slammed it shut behind her. Once locked, I collapsed onto the cold floor, sobbing uncontrollably.

I could detect the scent of alcohol on her, but that didn't absolve her of responsibility. She knew exactly what she was doing. She knew.

"Becky?" I heard a knock at the door and saw Milk standing there, her expression filled with concern. I allowed her in. "Can I stay for a while, or do you prefer to be alone?"

"I'm fine. You can go," I replied.

Milk nodded and departed. I attempted to wash away my anguish and prepare for bed, but the image of Freen nearly kissing Love lingered in my mind.

"Damn it!" I cursed, unable to shake the thought. I decided to disturb Milk's sleep. I didn't need anyone, but I needed beer. It was too late to go out, so I asked if she had any. "I need some beers," I blurted out.

"Am I your personal vending machine?" Milk retorted, opening her door wide.

"A venting machine. How about that?" I replied, heading to her kitchen to check her fridge. I knew I was being impolite, but I trusted she understood.

"I thought you wanted to be alone?" she questioned, observing as I poured the beers into a pitcher. I grabbed a glass and started drinking. "Slow down!" Milk intervened, attempting to halt my pace, but I shrugged her off.

"I'll reimburse you for any damages tomorrow," I hiccupped, continuing to drink until the room began to spin. This was what I craved, the chance to sleep without a care in the world.

"Do you honestly believe you can forget just like that? You're wasting my beer, Becky!" Milk scolded, prying the glass from my grasp and guiding me out of her unit. "Talk to her, Becky. You can't fix things if you don't communicate."

"She confessed," I smiled, leaning against the wall. "She admitted everything. So why bother asking again?"

"What did you say?" she inquired, her brow furrowing.

"Freen enjoys the company of someone she's comfortable with, and that someone isn't necessarily me," I grinned, hiccupping. "It could be anyone."

"You're such a lightweight. Go back to your unit and sleep it off," Milk instructed, but I shook my head.

"It's not me! It's her! She's the lightweight! She reeked of alcohol earlier. That's when I realized she's been drinking while working, despite my warning her not to because she can't handle it!" I yelled.

Milk's eyes widened, and she ushered me back inside her unit to prevent us from disturbing the other tenants.

"If you were my girlfriend and knew you couldn't handle alcohol, would you still drink with other girls?" I questioned, leaning on her for support as dizziness overwhelmed me.

"She's in the wrong, but it wasn't intentional. She didn't mean to hurt you, Becky," Milk whispered, but I shook my head, struggling to focus on her face.

"She hurt me before, so who's to say she won't do it again?" I hiccupped, and Milk guided me to the couch. "If only I could hurt her back, but I can't! I can't bear the thought of her pain because of me. I can't..." I was startled when I felt Milk's lips on mine.

"Quiet," she murmured. "You can."

---

Did I announce that this is going to end sooner? If not, then here we go. 😆
- vivaciousgeek