Chapter 48

Becky arrived home just as the maids finished preparing dinner. She entered the dining area with a box of cake, handing it to the maids before taking her seat and glancing at me.

"What?" she asked, and I quickly shook my head. "It's just your birthday, Freen. I won't talk to you if it isn't your birthday." She rolled her eyes.

Yeah, I forgot that too. I forgot that it was my birthday, yet she remembered it. I tried to suppress my smile at that thought.

"Tomorrow, don't come near me again. You'll only get this for a day," she warned, gesturing for me to eat.

I ate with her, and suddenly I heard a sound from outside the dining area. Becky sighed and finished chewing before leaving the dining area and returning with an open box in her hands.

"What's that?" I asked and dropped my utensils when she handed me the box with a white kitten inside. It was so cute, and I wanted to hug it right away.

"Richie's gift for you," Becky told me, continuing to eat. "It's yours, and you can take that with you if you leave."

"Thank you." I smiled and looked at the kitten. "Can I name her?" I asked.

"Duh. Of course. It's yours," she rolled her eyes.

"Okay." I smiled and caressed the top of the kitten's head. "Hello, Becbec!"

Becky coughed the moment she heard the kitten's name. Even the maids who were serving us laughed, and she glared at them.

"What the hell, Freen?" Becky exclaimed. "You're going to name that kitten after me?"

"At least, she's cute. Unlike you who named a cow, horse, and goat after me," I rolled my eyes at her and smiled at Becbec again.

"Damn you." She dropped her utensils and left the dining.

"Why did you do that?" the maid asked me while pouring juice into my glass.

"Don't worry, she won't be mad. This little fella is cute." I smiled at her, and she nodded.

After eating, I decided to watch television in the receiving area. However, Becky was there too. I took Becbec with me and let her walk on my lap.

"Why are you kissing me, Bec?" I laughed when Becbec walked on my chest and licked my jaw. "Stop it."

"Can you shut up?" Becky asked and glared at us. Becbec was startled, so she immediately went down to my lap again. "I'm sorry, Bec." Becky rolled her eyes at me.

I pursed my lips again and decided to go upstairs before Becky got mad again. I only get this side of hers for a day, so I think that I should make use of it. I put Becbec in the box again and let her rest. Minutes later, she fell asleep. I went downstairs to look for Becky, and she wasn't there. Perhaps she was in the garden again.

When I reached there, the cold night wrapped its icy tendrils around the garden. As I wandered through the brittle grass, the moon cast a ghostly glow on everything it touched. The air was crisp, my breath forming visible clouds in front of me as I made my way through the desolate landscape.

In the distance, a dim ember caught my eye – Becky, hidden in the shadows, smoking a cigarette, and she smelled like alcohol. Concern etched my face as I approached her, the frozen ground crunching beneath my boots. I tapped her shoulder gently, and she turned to face me, her eyes narrowing in annoyance.

"Freen, mind your own business," she snapped, exhaling a plume of smoke into the frigid air.

I stood my ground, unfazed by her glare. "Smoking isn't good for you, you know," I said softly, watching my breath dissipate in the cold night.

Becky rolled her eyes, but there was something in my expression that made her pause. We locked eyes, the silence between us hanging in the frosty air, broken only by the distant howl of the winter wind.

Against the backdrop of the moonlit night, I found myself captivated by the subtle glow of the cigarette in her hand. I shouldn't feel this way. I shouldn't follow my heart. I am engaged.

"You don't have a gift for me?" I asked.

Becky kept puffing the smoke into the air. I didn't bother to take it from her. "You don't deserve one."

"I'm really sorry, Becky. Would you really be happy if I go away?" I asked.

Becky slowly nodded and faced me. "Sadly, I can't chase you away right now. I need to wait for another week to do that."

"Okay." I sighed and felt my body freezing again. I put my hands inside the pocket of my jacket. "One week. And I'll vanish from your sight. I'm sorry for the inconvenience." I turned around and walked away.

As I slowly walked, I heard Becky sniffle. I knew it was hard for her to say those words. I knew she was trying not to swallow her pride. And I also knew that it was my fault. If I could ease the pain, I would. However, this time, I couldn't heal her wounds. It was me who made it. But I knew that someone would mend it.

"Freen!" She yelled at me, so I turned around. "Fuck you! Damn you for leaving me and all of your bullshits! Fuck you for playing with my feelings and coming back as if nothing happened!" She approached me and pushed me, but she was too weak to even move me.

"I'm sorry." I looked at the ground and prevented my tears from escaping.

"Please... don't make me fall in love with you again. I can't bear any more pain from you." She hit my chest as she cried hard. "Please... don't make me hope that we could still have another chance because I don't know if I can make it through the second time around."

"Becky..." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I'm here for your forgiveness, but if you can't give that to me, then it's fine. I'll leave sooner."

Becky looked at me with her teary, tired eyes. "Thank you." And then she almost fell, but I caught her. She fell into my arms.

I wiped the tears from her face and smiled. I'm done here. She's done with me. It's time to let go.