Chapter 59

Since that night, I didn't let Freen visit me. It felt incredibly lonely not having her around, even just for a day. I yearned to embrace her, but I knew she was tied up with her company. I hoped she was doing well.

"What's on your mind?" Milk inquired as she entered the shop from the restaurant, bearing lunch. She immediately noticed my distant demeanor.

"Nothing much," I chuckled, glancing at the wine shelf. Despite not looking, I could recite the inventory by heart. "What did you pick up?"

"Chicken and pasta. Plus, juice for you," she replied, placing the plastic bag on the counter. "Still feeling under the weather?" Milk checked my temperature, causing me to instinctively step back, fearing she'd pull out a remedy.

"I'm fine. Just missing someone," I admitted, eyeing the plastic bag.

Milk simply nodded and retreated to her workspace in the back. Sensing her need for solitude, I refrained from intruding or inquiring about her meal plans. I wasn't particularly hungry myself.

Opting for inventory duties to distract myself from thoughts of Freen, I tried to make the most of my day. Yet, Freen's presence lingered relentlessly in my mind. How many days had it been since that unforgettable night? Three?

"Do you carry Velvet Reserve Merlot?" a customer inquired.

"Sorry, we're out of that. It's quite rare," I lazily replied without turning around.

"I happen to have some," a familiar voice chimed in, causing me to furrow my brows.

My eyes widened as I recognized the voice. Whipping around, I was greeted by Freen's smile. Without hesitation, I rushed over and enveloped her in a tight embrace. Three days had felt like an eternity; I missed her dearly.

"Becky, do you—" Milk's sentence trailed off as she caught sight of our embrace. Realizing my oversight, I quickly released Freen, remembering I was still on the clock. "We'll chat later," Milk offered before retreating to her workspace.

"See? Milk respects our moments," I remarked, pulling Freen into another hug.

"You're unusually clingy today, Miss. What's gotten into you?" Freen teased, her laughter echoing.

"Actually, nothing," I confessed, guiding her towards the counter so we could enjoy our meal together. "By the way, are you sure it's okay for us to meet here?"

“Why wouldn’t it be?” Freen furrowed her brow while opening her food container. “I've told you, we can maintain a friendly facade in public. No one will suspect a thing."

"Ah, so I'm banned from visiting your workplace to avoid any appearance of slacking off, and you can't come to my place because of the potential paparazzi? Got it," I remarked, raising my thumb as she chuckled.

"You're the only one convinced there are paparazzi tailing me. I'm just a businesswoman, Becky, not a celebrity," Freen countered with a smile.

"A celebrity in the business world," I teased, chuckling. "But I'd rather be known as your partner, you know?"

"Now you're flirting," Freen chuckled in response.

As Freen and I enjoyed the food Milk had provided, we tackled the inventory together while assisting customers. It was apparent that Freen underestimated her public profile; many patrons recognized and wanted photos with her.

"And you claim not to be a celebrity," I teased while restocking the shelves.

"I didn't realize I was that well-known. Perhaps I'm infamous," she quipped, greeting yet another customer. Both of us froze upon seeing the newcomer.

"Freen?" the newcomer inquired. "What are you doing here?" Engfa laughed, looking at us in surprise.

Engfa seemed to have a knack for showing up unexpectedly. Was this a small world, or was she just omnipresent?

"I work here," I answered. "And you?"

"Obviously here for some wine. This is the only shop nearby. I'm here on behalf of the Pinitkanjanapun Group's chairman," Engfa explained, glancing at us. "Looks like you two aren't breaking up after all. I take credit for that prediction."

"Becky," Milk's voice interjected, prompting us to turn towards her. "No more slacking. Lunch break's over." With that, she disappeared back into her workspace.

"That's my boss. What can I help you find?" I asked Engfa.

Freen headed to the shelf, selecting a wine. "This one's our bestseller. Becky's favorite," she remarked to Engfa with a smile.

"And you, have you switched careers?" Engfa inquired.

"Not at all," Freen replied, waving her hand. "I'm here to see Becky. Also, I have a business trip abroad, which is why I stopped by."

She hadn't mentioned that earlier. She came all this way just to inform me she was leaving for work? How long would she be gone? Days? Weeks? Months? Three days felt like an eternity; I couldn't bear the thought of waiting months. Would she find me in a mental hospital upon her return?

"Okay, I'll give this a try," Engfa said, taking the bottle as I rang her up.

Once Engfa left, silence hung between us. I didn't want her to leave.

"Hey," Freen said softly. "What's wrong?"

"You're leaving?" I asked, avoiding her gaze. "And you're only telling me now?"

"Are you upset?" Freen lifted my chin gently to meet her gaze. "I wanted to tell you in person because I want you to come with me. I'll make you my personal assistant since Love can't come; she needs to stay and manage things here while I'm away."

My face lit up, earning a smile from her.

"I never thought you'd think I'd leave without you," she chuckled, kissing my forehead. "I promised I wouldn't leave you again. If I could, I'd carry you in my pocket."