Chapter 41

We went back to Richie's house after visiting Deli, and I could see that their home had undergone significant changes. From the ceiling down to the flooring, the theme had shifted from modern to somehow medieval. Even the servants looked different, much younger, except for one woman whom I recognized as the head maid. I had seen her multiple times before.

"Why don't you stay here for a while? I'm going out of town due to some business trips. You can stay here," Richie suggested as we headed to the dining area for dinner.

"You're living alone?" I asked, glancing at the maids serving us. "Where's Becky?"

"She's always out. Hiking and camping. You know she loves adventure, right?" Richie chuckled. "But she'll be back. She went to the mountain yesterday; she'll come back tonight." Richie smiled and thanked the maid who poured juice into his glass.

I didn't know what to say. I could stay at any hotel for now if my house wasn't available. I couldn't stay at this place, especially with Becky. I knew that she hated me after all these years. I knew how much I hurt her.

From afar, I could hear two people giggling coming from the living room. When the laughter reached the dining area, Richie and I immediately looked at the two people who entered.

Becky and a girl whom I didn't know, hadn't met before. She had wavy brown hair and looked like a mix of Korean and Japanese due to her eyes. She was beautiful.

"Becky, Irin. Come join us," Richie invited them.

Becky couldn't look at me, and neither could I. I kept my eyes on my food, trying to ignore their presence. Perhaps, Becky had found happiness with her newfound love, and I didn't want to intrude on their happiness. She had moved on, and I was proud of her. I didn't want to explain myself anymore. She was okay now, and I didn't want to hurt her.

After dinner, I went to Richie's old room and started organizing my stuff. Richie knocked on the door and smiled at me as he saw me packing.

"You okay?" Richie asked, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Don't worry. Becky's okay now. I won't let you stay if you still have an effect on her."

"Yeah. I can see that. She moved on, and I am engaged. Everything's okay." I smiled bitterly as I closed the cabinet doors.

"You're engaged? With whom?" He furrowed his brows and tilted his head. "I didn't hear any news from you since you left here."

"Remember, Heng?" I asked, joining him on the bed. "My father and his father were close friends. We met again, became even closer, and now we're engaged. That's how it started," I explained.

"Oh. I never thought you two would end up together. I mean, you're more masculine than him. What happened?" Richie chuckled.

"Heng's nice. He took care of me, and now he's fixing the mess I made. I screwed up." I pursed my lips and sighed.

"I thought you left here to be better? And now you're coming back to be better again? Are you insane?" Richie laughed and ruffled my hair. "What are you doing with your life, Freen? Aren't you tired of leaving over and over again?"

"It's like a cycle, Richie. After here, I'm going back there. I have a job. And soon will have a family. And perhaps, when I get married, I would stay in one place for good." I pushed him off the bed so I could sleep. I didn't want to tell him that Heng and I were just close friends benefiting from each other. I didn't want to enter their world again. I didn't want to come back to who I was before.

"Fine. I'll let you sleep now. But please, while I'm gone, don't pick a fight with Becky. Reconcile with her. You know she's nice, right?" Richie smiled and turned off the lights so I could sleep, but I couldn't.

I wasn't here to reconcile and disturb her life again. I would stay here for the meantime and stay away from her. That's what I could do, for her not to hate me more.

I stood up and went outside since I really couldn't sleep. There were things that were haunting me. First, my aunt's death. Second, Becky's anger, and third, my issues. I didn't know if escaping my problems would solve them, but I knew that Heng was doing everything so I could restore my reputation.

"Becky!" I heard someone call her name, so I looked around and saw Becky under the tree. She was watching the moon, and the girl Irin was approaching her. I bet they didn't see me here. "Can't sleep?"

"Yeah." Becky smiled and let Irin join her in watching the moon. "Do you know what I hate the most, Irin?" she asked.

"What?" Irin asked back.

"Being left alone by the person whom I trusted my heart with." Becky let out a harsh breath.

Irin fell silent. Perhaps she didn't know who Becky was talking about, but I knew who it was. It was me. I broke her that much.

"I'm here, Bec." Irin hugged Becky from behind, and they both smiled as they looked at the moon.

It was painful, but at the same time, I felt happy. Finally, Becky found someone who treasured her, and she wouldn't have to be alone.